Normality (Of sorts)

Orange ChipsHas anyone actually seen the new Dairy Milk chocolate bars with orange chips in them? I haven’t, and it’s really bugging me. I’ve seen the adverts – but not the product, and I hate it when that happens.

So if you’ve seen them in your local shop – or better still have bought one and eaten it, then feel free to gloat to me about if they’re as nice as I think they’re going to be. Better still, buy me one – email me, and i’ll tell you my address and you can post it to me. πŸ™‚

There you go, that’s me getting away from tube-bombs and aiming to get back to a “Geoff world” type of reality.

Which is why I also have a burning desire to mention the fact that I have refined the art of ‘on the toilet’ multi-tasking this morning, by sitting on the loo, having a shave with my right hand, and holding a book (whilst reading it) with my left hand. Occasionally I’d put down the shaver, have a sip of tea and then carry on again. That’s four things at once (sort of). God I’m good.

The book in question by the way is the new Danny Wallace ‘boy project’ novel – “Yes Man“. The premise being is that he decides to say ‘yes’ to every opportunity presented to him and everything that everybody asks him, and follows the consequences. It did make me laugh out loud more than once on the train home the other night.

Last weeks major incidents did indeed cause a break in normality, and did of course put a shadow on the celebration of an event to feel good about – London is now the chosen city for the 2012 Olympic Games.

Within a couple of hours of us being chosen, all the standard ‘joke’ emails were doing the rounds, with this one being my favourite.

I wasn’t that ‘big’ on the Olympics coming here, but now that we’ve won and they are – I think it will an excellent thing for London in terms of rejuvenation of the east end of, and will create many opportunities and will good for the economy. And no I don’t mind paying slightly more in council tax.

The one thing that did make me balk was when I realised this: It’s in seven years time 2012, and I will be – wait for it – FORTY years old when it comes around. Shite. That looks scary just writing that word. So the Olympics can take their time getting here as far as I’m concerned, not matter how great it is.

I’ve also got two 50p’s from people to mention from last week which also got overshadowed, but I still can’t mention them now, because I want to mention this first:

Off the back off last weeks nightmare, Ken Livingstone (Mayor of London) announced a relief fund for families of the victims.

At which point – an idea instantly popped into my head.

We’re going to do the tube run again – all of it (well, much as we can as it looks like the stretch of the Piccadilly will be out of action for a while), but when I say “We”, I don’t just mean me & Neil – I mean every other tube-challenger that I know about (there is a sort of, umm.. ‘community’ of us!), and I’m out to encourage them all to do it at the same time.

Yes! A simultaneous mass attempt at doing it (separate teams, but we all start together in the same place), and go round the whole system raising money for the relief charity. Good idea, yes?

Watch this blog over the next week, as I’ll create a special mini-site off of ‘Geofftech’ to plug it, and will also get something up on TubeChallenge.com as well (Neil!), but I just wanted to mention it here first.

You see? Another tube run on the cards. Told you it was my sort of normality.

38 responses to “Normality (Of sorts)”

1. ian says:

40 you say? That’s nearly as old as K***!

F5!

Sssh! Don’t tell her you said that. She’ll get all upset.

3. Tim Woodward says:

Hmm a charity Tube challenge? Good idea! Do LUL endorse these runs? Cause if so, it’d be a good publicity stunt for getting people back on the network after Thursday…

Or maybe it’d be bad taste? I don’t know…

There is the ‘bad taste’ thing, but hang on … No! Fcuk em! (The terrorists that is). This shall be done in the spirit of:

1. Charity, and
    2. A “You’re not going to stop us from travelling on the tube” attitude, and we shall carry on doing this crazzzzy thing that we do regardless.

We do need to get LU & cuddly Ken on our side though to endorse this one proplerly methinks. Watch this space …

5. I think I had a Dairy Milk with Orange many moons ago..

It came out of the vending machine on Platform 1 of High Barnet station, when I’d SPECIFICALLY requested Dairy Milk with Caramel!

Technology, eh?

Honestly!

6. I saw those choc’s at the Little Sainsbury’s/Knightsbridge! Honest!

Ian, nonsense. I’ll be just a wee bit over FORTY when you guys get your Olympics in town.

Think the new Tube Run is a great idea and the LU officials probably secretly love it, but to “encourage” or condone it might be setting themselves up for all sorts of liability. Oh wait, that’s corporate *America* mentality.

PS: Geoff, have you finished all the chocolate treats I brought you already? Those would have lasted anyone else at least six months.

Arrrgh, this tube challenge is going to be enormous and I won’t even be there! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

8. tami from new orleans says:

PLEASE let me know when the run will be I will make sure that I get there to do it . The highlight of my year for sure!

9. Amy says:

Good idea? GREAT idea! Look forward to hearing the details.

Geoff i’m suprised you havent mentioned the record amount of traffic to the BBC website, although the reason for visiting was not a happy one, it’s still a milestone in the websites history

11. Neil says:

Never mind Dairy Milk Orange – where are these Fox’s Pink Echoes I hear exist somewhere or other?

12. Marco says:

Have you ever thought about writing the Olympic committee about getting the Tube Run an Olympic event for London 2012 ? Oh wait a second….you’ll be forty and well past the age of being able to do it competitively :-).

13. Scott says:

Think a tube runs a great idea but i’ll bet you a whole box of dairy milk with orange chips in you won’t be able to talk LUL into letting you do it officially.. πŸ™‚

14. Andy says:

Taking a dump while shaving? What’s that all about? Just because something can be done, doesn’t mean it should be!

Having dealt with them before, I also have reservations about getting LUL’s nod of approval.

But as I always say, if 50 random passengers just all decide to travel on the first train from Amersham on the same day/time, how can they stop us?

A nasty thought of course is that if we publicise what date we’re doing it on as an act of defiance, does that make us a security risk and setting ourselves up as a target?

I’ll put a link up to the hits page later, yes .. BBC news site got more hits last week than when the pope died, or at the peak of the recent election night.

Andy: It’s not ‘taking a dump whilst shaving’, but ‘shaving whilst taking a dump!’ – Subtle difference.

It’s a huge time-saver in the morning – try it, and I promise you’ll be converted. You’ll never again be able to sit on the loo without thinking “Where’s my shaver?”

16. Jono says:

I wet shave. How’s that going to work, then?

17. Andy says:

“You’ll never again be able to sit on the loo without thinking “Where’s my shaver?””

Ah, that’s clicked. You’re using one of them there poncey arsed dry shavers huh? I was wondering whether you were dipping the blade down the lavvy to clean it! πŸ˜‰

That’s not right either! I haven’t used one of those since I was about 16. Get yerself a proper razor and some foam mate.

What you are doing is the equivalent of a bird doing her makeup on the tube. Another one of my (many) pet hates!

I couldn’t do it anyway, even if it seemed like a good idea to me, cos I just poo when it takes me. Not like, in the steet or anything, more like “time of day” ! πŸ˜‰

Maybe you could get over your fear of dumping next to someone in the next cubicle by handing them your shaver when you’re done. Kinda liven up the old communal spirit.

18. Electric’s the easiest way to do it!

Though to be fair, I last shaved 7 months ago. That’s when I decided to become a miserable bastard and grow a beard to prove it.

The hair on my chin is currently about 5mm long.

Arse.

Andy, you forgot your eyeshadow today.

20. Neil says:

Jono said:

I wet shave. How’s that going to work, then?

Just dip it between your legs …

21. Kate says:

Superdrug are selling the orange chocolate – rush there now and treat yourself.

22. stroppycow says:

For m@rf the answer lies on the bbc website of course http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/spotlight/food/jaffacake_pudding.shtml though i don’t think the picture matches the recipe.

23. Jono says:

Neil,

Which bits you shave with a razor is no concern of mine.

“The hair on my chin is currently about 5mm long.”

After 7 months?…i get that after a few days…do you mean cm?

25. No, I mean milimetres.

I’m quite surprised myself..

I have to add to this. At the age of almost 33, I still can’t grow a moustache, let alone a beard. That’s why i used an electric shaver and not a proper blade – there’s no point.

I can go without shaving for a whole week, and you probably wouldn’t notice… and that’s why i look younger than i do! No proper male facial hormones in me!!

Poor geoff, one day soon puberty will strike and catch you completely off guard πŸ˜‰

28. Yorkie says:

Spotted the Dairy Milk with Orange Chips for sale in my local Wilkinsons today. I’ve had one before and they are rather nice.

Only 29x50p = http://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/asp/product_description.asp?recorprod=1&product=13087&cat=0&recor=1&PT_ID=&V=13208

According to http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/brand_stories/dairy_milk/cdm_range.htm however, the bar doesn’t exist!

29. Neil says:

Yeah. You wait. When it strikes, it’s deadly.

what…wait a minute, how come when i looked earlier it was neils comment after mine, and now Yorkies has appeared in between?

31. Yorkie says:

Mine was awaiting moderation :S

32. Simon says:

I had one of those orange bars ages ago… they also do a mint one. It was a long time ago that i had that as well. Go to some small news agent in the city and you will find!!!

Indeed. if you post more than one URL into a comment, it goes into a pending/moderation folder awaiting my approval. There are other things which ‘trigger’ this, but i’m not telling you what they are.

Puberty? What’s that?

34. Neil says:

Yes, us WordPress bloggers can censor you to hell πŸ™‚

Be afraid – be very afraid.

35. Yorkie says:

Next time do I just put multiple URL’s in adjacent comments?

You could do .. yes, it’s mainly to stop guestbook/comments spammers which pot loads of links in. I’m usually quite hot on the moderationt though, i’m never far from a computer!

37. Peter says:

I wonder if anyone will actually see this, as I’ve just found this via Geoff’s post on 28th September.

Shaving whilst taking a dump? What an *excellent* idea! For those of us that wet shave, there’s gotta be a way to get some sort of small makeshift sink in place – possibly it could me ceiling mounted at such a position that it’d lower down to just in the right place for doing an on-the-loo shave. Must add that to my list of mad things to invent.