In the loop

There’s too much good music around at the moment. Either that, or my musical tastes are finally widening as there seem to be just too many ‘current’ songs that I like too much. Consider this – I’ve got playlists on my iPod of all my favourite tunes from the last five years, and have called them “My 2000”, “My 2001”, etc.. that sort of thing, and for each of those years there’s never more than 28 songs in any of them.

This year is different though – the “My 2005” playlist is already up to 41 songs, and we’re still only two thirds of the way through the year. And currently top of the pile is the Imogen Heap track “Goodbye and go”, the Mohair song “Thin Air”, and a track off of the Coldplay album “Talk” (the one that samples the Kraftwerk tune ‘Computer Love’).

But all that was blown away in the last couple of days with a song that I’ve now had on permament loop at home, on the train and in the car on my iPod.

Depeche ModeIt’s the new Depeche Mode single “Precious” – and I love it .. absolutely love it. Here’s how much:

I caught the last 60 seconds of it on Top of the Pops on Sunday evening (why BBC, why did you move it to a Sunday – stupid idea!), and instantly I thought “Uh oh .. I think I’m going to really like this”.

So I downloaded it from iTunes and played it – fell in love with it, and has since been pretty much on repeat at home on iTunes, or on my iPod in the car. In less than 48 hours, it’s to 56 plays and is still rising up my ‘most played’ count.

That’s how much I like it. Scary. Does anyone else do this? – Get one song they like and play it in a continual loop, or I am just being weird?

So are you panicing about getting petrol? This eBay item was doing the rounds today which is tapping into the current ‘crisis’. Mind you, I did drive past three garages this morning (at 06.30) and ALL of them had queues outside – mad!

It’s not as good as this item for sale though, which I’m sorely tempted to put in a bid on for myself.

Oh, and apparantly – we won the cricket. You’d of thought it might have been on the news or something though, wouldn’t you?

19 responses to “In the loop”

1. Dave says:

Haven’t heard those yet, but I am liking Kaiser Chiefs “Heard it Through the Grapvine” and Nickelback’s “Photograph”. The last time I played a song on continuous loop was Evanescence’s “Bring Me To Life” that was a cool song. Did we win the cricket? ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Andrew says:

Petrol station at White City was closed when I went past earlier. Bonkers.

3. Neil says:

Geoff, I download Pink Floyd bootlegs and play them on continual loop so no, it’s not sad.

4. Chris says:

The campaign to get you listening to The Who starts HERE.

5. quin says:

Wasn’t that impressed with the DM song (it seemed a bit painting-by-numbers) but was really surprised to see The Arcade Fire on there, and their song was brilliant.

6. David A says:

We won the cricket! :O First I’ve heard of it, although I did wonder what all the comotion was when I went up to Trafalgar Square yesterday ๐Ÿ˜›

Evanescence’s “Bring Me To Life” was and is a brill tune. Still on my MP3 player I think?

Anyone here like Gorillaz or am I the only normal one here ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Ben French says:

duh, duh duh duh, duh duh….feel….good…..

They are very quirky and, as a full time rocker tick all the boxes for a band I shouldn’t like….

But the songs are so damn catchy it’s become like a guilty pleasure – ever since their first one when they had sunshine in a bag!

8. OK several things

Firstly – Cricket is becoming the new rugby – Metro was full of hot drunken totty (ie the England Team) celebrating the win – gone are the days of Ia “Beefy” Botham and Phil “Tuffers” Tuffnall

Secondly – yes you are weird – however much I like a track I would never replay it that many times.

Thirdly – that box of nothing on ebay is a “charidee” thing, so the fact that someone’s now bit ฃ15 for a box of nothing is basically a ฃ15 donation to Down’s Syndrome and to “pay” the seller for being entertaining.

Fourthly – yes you are weird (oops haven’t I said that already)

9. Oops that Firstly was supposed to say “gone are the days of *Ian* Beefy Botham…..”

10. Yeah and thirdly was supposed to day “someone’s now *bid*…….

My typoes are becoming as bad as yours ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Geoff: Let me ask… if a song goes on continuous loop (also called “Repeat One” in the iPod world), why on earth should it be ‘rated?’ You already know you like it so rating it is a waste of time. Your playlist is simply called “Recently PLayed.” No need to rate in that case. Yes?

Chris: You can’t be serious. The Who?!! Do you realze Pete T. & Roger D. must have grandchildren older than you?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

David A: Have you heard the new Gorillaz track “Hong Kong,” from the Warchild Music project?

To all: Cricket? Is that a little like baseball? ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. stroppycow says:

I play songs on a loop a lot, but then again I am not exactly a benchmark for non-weirdness rating.

13. ian says:

1. Baseball is like rounders. Cricket is like baseball on valium.

2. I met Roger Daltrey’s daughters once. I would have gladly offered to create Who-grandchildren, but they didn’t seem particularly interested.

14. Kris- I’m perfectly aware of that! And after 40 years, their music still holds up!

And Ian, I can go one better than that. I met the almighty Roger Daltrey himself last Monday. Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed..

15. Such a big event, England winning cricket, and it didn’t even make the *last* page of the sports section here. I learned about it on Geofftech!

Chris, you are of course correct… Their music certainly does hold up after 40 years. I once met Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts on a backstage pass. I also met Jeff Beck (he was the one who invited us backstage)… all very quiet and polite chaps. Makes you realize they are just ordinary ‘people” like us,…it is just that they have extraordinary talents, and are the best in the world at their craft, unlike us.

P.S. Do you think Jeff Beck changed the spelling of his first name to seem more ‘American?” ๐Ÿ˜‰ Since most English use the “G” spelling.

Ian: Is that why we have never seen your photo?

16. Chris says:

Bloody hell!

That’s what I call impressive!

My mate served Mandy Smith at the Harvester he works at the other day.. That’s about as interesting as it gets in my local area..

Quin – but “Painting by numbers” music is sometimes exactly what you need isn’t it? And god bless Depeche Mode for (20 years on) still being to do that, and doing it in such a way that it still gets me really excited. I can’t help but love them for that.

Kris – Why do i rate my songs? OMG! There’s no fookng point in using iTunes if you’re not going to use it’s sublinmne features such as ratings and smart-platlists. I can see I’m going to have to extol the virtues of this in a blog page, or dedicated page at some point in the future…

18. Niall Cunningham says:

Kaiser Cheifs- Oh My God
    Radiohead – Exit Music (For A Film)
    Blur – Coffee & TV
    The Smiths – How Soon Is Now (Yeah, I’m sad)
    …and Oasis- Live Forever