See the sign

Fuck offWhat I did Wednesday:

I bought the new Depeche Mode album at last (the special DVD edition), and is now on repeat on my iPod. It’s dark, deep, dreary and I love it. I also popped into the Apple Store in Regent Street to see if they had the new iPod Videos yet – they didn’t – but they should be getting some in”Probably on Monday, come back then”. And I learnt how to say “Fuck off” in sign language.

Actually, I was told by the person showing me how to say various things in sign languauge, but isn’t it strange how the only one I remember is how to swear?

526 KeyI also get another 50p!

But we have a shy person here (scared of internet stalkers methinks) who doesn’t actually want to be named properly, apart from being known as ‘K.E.Y’ (her initials), and a photo here in which I’ve had to blur her face out a little.

No worries – she is official number 526, and chooses The Wildhearts – The Miles Away Girl, as her song, with the 50p going into the charity pot.

(Observant people amongst you will have noticed that I’ve ‘skipped’ number 525 here, but that’s because it’s been reserved for someone who I’m meeting up with on Monday)

BOTSD logoPete, Geoff and SignSo I have big of a blog dilemma here .. in terms of what I do for ‘Born on the same day‘ stuff.

Obviously I have to write up the updates on the BOTSD site itself, but then do I duplicate the entry here? Or just a summation? Or just a link or no mention at all of anything that I’ve done and expect you to go and look there too?

This whole blog started because of the ‘blog’ style diary entries that came out of 50 pence (iN Da Pod),so it would sort of make sense if I dedicated the whole blog back over to it – because if I don’t then I have to think of something to write here, as well as on the BOTSD updates page. Hmm… I’m not sure.

All I do know is though, is that there is a BOTSD update for you to go and read here – as Pete, myself and a little help from ‘K’ hit the town, asking complete strangers to tell us their birthdays – including the tube staff at Waterloo station, one who ‘spotted’ me (“It’s that guy that does the tube!“)and called me “a legend”. I swear it’s true …

35 responses to “See the sign”

But the sign language is ASL (American Sign Language) … any yanks?

2. Neil says:

Well, it’s not too hard to work out who K.E.Y is now is it?

3. Chich says:

I’m not K.E.Y lol

1) What, so no more iBlog as we know it? Don’t give it up, Geoff. Don’t become a victim of your own corporate conglomeration mentality. Fight them until the end, Geoff. Find it within yourself. You have the power.

2) Looking at the BOTSD blog, it seems that you’re going to have to take that sign EVERYWHERE with you every day for about a year, as once you start filling up the 50 birthdays, it’s going to be nigh-on impossible to find someone who’s got the right birthday and the right year.

3) Why the pointless restrictive age range?! Why not expand the possible birthday range to, say, 5-85? At least then you’ve got much more potential of finding missing birth-years as the number of birthdays increases.

Just my twopence worth.
    -Anthony

5. Chris says:

Also, there IS an easier way of saying ‘fuck off’ in sign language..

6. Chich says:

Keep the blog Geoff! Don’t make me have to design a poster!

Ok, the “proper” way to say Fuck Off in sign language is actually to to clench your right hand up as if you were going to hit someone, then get the palm of your left hand and tap it agains the right hand, and then point away from that hand and yourself with the thumb of your left hand. Does that make sense? It does to me!

Don’t worry .. iBlog will continue, but I can just see it being overwhelmed a little with BOTSD stuff. But that’s no bad thing is it?

Who’s K.E.Y then Neil? If it’s that obvious …

8. Johnny Alpha says:

So does that really mean “fuck off”, or “go away I’m going to hit you”?

Shouldn’t “fuck off” involve getting your knob out, then doing the left hand palm tapping thing?

9. Johnny Alpha says:

Oh yeah, and K.E.Y. is obviously Victor Lewis Smith, your biggest fan, who’s dyed his hair a bit!

It’s true. K.E.Y. is indeed Victor Lewis Smith.

11. The Dunce says:

Good description of the “real” sign for fuck off (#9). If anyone really wants to spell it in British Sign Language here is a good link to the BSL fingerspelled alphabet:

12. Neil says:

Well Geoff, K.E.Y must be Kate.

Here’s my reasoning:

In the picture, your mystery 50p giver has coloured braided hair and multicoloured bead bracelets.

I have seen a picture of Kate, posted by herself on some blog or another (can’t recall exactly where), where she had identical features. She hid her face in that picture too.

Ergo, a great leap of imagination on my part to assume it’s Kate.

Also, Kate starts with K.

Ta da …

Give that man a prize… for reading my blog too much, that is!

Exposed! Neil’s middle name is, after all, Holmes.

15. Peter says:

Serious query – has anyone got any 168-pin DIMMs (RAM) kicking about? I’m ideally after 3 256MB modules (not the DDR or owt fancy like that), and I’d quite like to find someone who’d flog them at a cheap bargain price 🙂

In fact, one will do, 2 will get a 64MB module plus cash, and 3 will get a 128MB module AND a 64MB module AND cash!

Can you imagine that??!

And yes, I’ve tried ebay, but I’m a cheapskate and keep missing out on the real bargains….

I’m thinking here might be a good place to ask as a fair few of you are techy type people who have probably upgraded to computers that take RAM about 27.68 generations more advanced than mine.

What is this eBayTech? Exchange and Tech? http://www.geofftech.co.uk/memory4sale ??!

(Hey .. great idea… post “the chance for you to share your birthday with me” as an item on eBay. Go on, dare ya..)

17. Peter says:

Cracking idea, but people already have a birthday, and unfortunately I don’t have the means to change a random stranger’s birthday. Or even the birthday of someone I know.

But I could auction off the chance for a lucky couple to create a child with the same birthday as me. The money could go to charity, and the “prize” would be to reveal my birthday to them. In fact, I could do it so the top 20 bidders would “win”, thus increasing the chances of one popping out on the right date.

And if they were all born on time, that’d be faaantaastic.

18. Neil says:

Anthony, my middle name is Stuart.

Damn. Does that mean Pete and Geoff can now steal my identity?

19. Peter says:

Why would we want to though?

(disclaimer: joke)

20. kate says:

firstly, sorry Pete, no RAM (had a look on my old dilapidated machines!), i think that all got stolen a while back! 🙁

Plus i’m not sure you’ll have to run an eBay auction for the chance for someone to share your birthday – a friend of a friend of a workmate is pregnant and announced that your birthday is when her baby is due!! (she didn’t say it in such words, but…) I shall keep tabs on he/she/it to see if that happens!!

21. Chris says:

Wow. You haven’t had any comments in 36 hours..

This is a mercy comment.

There’s not been a blog post for a number of days and conversation on this topic has simply run out.

This is also a mercy comment.

23. Neil says:

That’s because Geoff would appear to have thrown himself into his latest Gorman-esque project and probably hasn’t got the time to update it.

Are you going to start a “Friends of the iBlog” campaign to get him to restart it then, Anthony?

24. Peter says:

Well I’d like to comment that I really wish I’d thought of that million dollar homepage idea.

And also that I’m excited that someone’s having a baby on my birthday. I’m sure that, should the baby ever meet me, they’ll be truly gutted, but ah well, never mind.

And I’ve got another new birthday person.

Also, does anyone know if cheap flights exist from Birmingham to Norway? I’m thinking about ‘doing’ my 3 birthday-sakes in one go – Birmingham, Norway, the Dordogne, then back home. Could be fun.

I’ll have a look for you Pete, after all, I live in Brum and will be your interpreter for the evening!

26. Simon says:

Pete and Geoff sounds rather like a Virgin radio show…?

27. Chris says:

Someone hasn’t read the website..

28. Peter says:

Anxiously waits for what?

Also, I’m not sure I fully agree with the statement:

“….they’re not the same guys that work for Virgin Radio, but they are slightly more attractive.”

(Typo corrected).

29. Simon says:

🙂 you could always take over from the other “Pete and Geoff”

30. neil365 says:

Ahhh now I see why you asked me when my birthday was a few weeks ago! Very mysterious.

You could try this site : http://www.minetoo.com
    which has a database of lots of people and their birthdays…enter your birthday and it tells you all the people on same day.

Not as much fun as your way though i guess lol

31. zsiqtuk says:

needful lesson of selfreliance dot
    asus piercing pagoda*