Video killed the previous ‘pod

iPod VideoYaaaay – I’ve got one!

I checked the Apple discussion forums today to find that someone has posted that Regent Street had them in. One phonecall later to confirm that this was the case, and I was on the first train into town – meeting up with an iContributor Chris Presswell & his mate too, and we went iShopping!

They hadn’t had a chance to put them out on display yet – it looked as if they’d literally just turned up and they’d put the boxes out that they came in behind the tills, and were just dishing them out from there. There was a loooong queue to buy anything, and I did wonder how fast they were going to sell out – but there were plenty still by the time I got to the front of the queue.

iPod VideoThey had white ones only, which was fine as that’s all I wanted, and because I get an 8% discount on production of my BBC pass I went the whole hog and got the 60Gb model – which is still thinner than my ‘old’ iPod Photo 30Gb.

I also got a new universal dock, which rather amusingly comes with a connector for every single type of dockable iPod that there has ever been, and because of this the box for this is bigger than the box for the iPod itself!

So what’s it like? Well – it’s thinner. Lighter. The wheel is smaller and reacts differently but still good – oh and the screen is bigger and plays video too (natch).

iPod VideoOne odd thing is that to sync/connect it now only works by USB, if you plug a firewire cable into it – it will charge the ‘pod but not transfer any music/photos/video to it, and will even display a polite message on screen saying this. Why Apple changed it I don’t know as as far as I’m aware, firewire is slightly faster and more robust. Maybe they’re trying to appeal to a wider market.

We stopped in the bar for a quick beer, before hot footing it home to plug it up and sync over my music.

I then did the predictable thing of downloading the music video for U2’s “Original of the species” (which is where the still frame of Bono comes from on the publicity shots for it) so that I had a video to play.

Right now though, I’ve downloaded some free Windows software here – Videora, which converts stuff that you’ve already got into the right format for the pod.

iPod VideoI’m doing my own 50 pence – iN Da Pod Movie first as a test to see how it fares!

I’d like to admit too that yes – I’ve been suckered into the hype and publicity that Apple have spread about this, but I don’t care … I think it’s worth it as I’ve only had it one evening and I love it already.

Mind you, not everyone thinks that they’re great. (Just to bring some balance to this post…)

[01.45] Update – Heh heh … the software is a doozy. Now have several of my favourite music videos converted and onto the vPod, including the excellent video to FatBoy Slim’s “Praise you” which is really rather good!

34 responses to “Video killed the previous ‘pod”

1. Chris says:

“Copying 66 of 2214”

I’m gonna be here awhile..

Bloody incompatibility with firewire..

Chris bought one too everyone! (We both got the 60Gb version), and yes they’re USB only now, no firewire!

Mine had to do all the photos and re-adjust their size for the new screen. 3174 songs, 2564 photos, it took just over an hour. It’s very sexy!

iAmevidentlynotasobsessedasyouareaboutthese.

But that does sound absurdly good.

But I have no real use for one! But I want one! But I want a PSP first! But I will ultimately have neither! But I will just have to cope with it!!

From the iPod site: “… or time your fastest lap.”

Tube Challenge, anyone?!

5. Chris says:

Let the Circle Line Olympics commence..

6. Chris says:

If you want, I could send you the result of my tinkering about with Coldplay’s The Scientist video, so that it plays backwards.

Therefore, it actually plays forwards.

It’s nowhere near as good, but it’s more of a curiosity thing…

7. Chris says:

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I’m now at 2031 of 2214 songs, after only 3 1/2 hours.

I’ve REALLY got to look into a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card..

8. Chris says:

IT’S DONE!!!!

And now, to transfer my videos…

9. 8% off cos he works for the BBC … I’m in the wrong job!

No fair, i want one…
    actually, i’m not sure if i do, isnt the battery life for videos only 3 hours or something like that?

For 60Gb models, the quote from ilounge is:

“Apple similarly claims that the new 60GB iPod will play music for 20 hours, photo and music slideshows for 4 hours, and video for 3 hours. In our tests, it missed the music claim by 10 minutes, playing for 19 hours, 50 minutes, but exceeded Apple’s photo and video claims, playing a music photo slideshow for 4 hours, 47 minutes, iPod-screen video for 3 hours, 23 minutes, and on-TV video for a hefty 5 hours and 24 minutes.”

But remember that it’s designed for showing short video clips. I wouldn’t want to and wouldn’t expect anyone to sit and watch something on it for two to three hours – more like 20 minutes (e.g. an episode of the Simpsons) whilst you’re on the tube or train the morning is the ideal.

And – take away the fact that it does video, it’s still now the best music playing iPod ever.

Of course, give ’em 12 months and there’ll be another model that’s improved again!

12. Dave says:

Very Very jealous! I had my iPod mini nicked a few weeks ago, have to wait until January wehn I am in NY to get a new one (sob!) Have fun with yours!

13. Matt says:

when they bring out a new model in november in a different colour or something, can i buy that off you for lets say, err, 15 quid ?

Oh yeah, i used that video converter thing and it didnt work. The mpgs it made said summit like “this file contains invalid data” whenever i tried to play them…

Geoff, make it work please 🙂

15. pixeldiva says:

This of course begs the question – what are you going to do with your (newer) old one? 🙂

16. Steve says:

Isn’t an ipod just a glorified walkman? When does one use one if not on the train or something. What’s the point in having pictures and video on there?

17. Chris says:

Well, I’m using mine right now.

But not in the way you might expect me to be…

18. Neil says:

Thre are so many reponses to that. I don’t know where to begin.

You could start with “Yes”…

20. Will Mitchell says:

geoff i think your taking over the tv, the other night I saw you on Frank Skinner next to some woman who was asking a question, and then I flicked
    over and you were on the tube show on sky travel!!!

LOL! They were repeating the episode of Frank Skinner with me in and ‘The Tube’ on Sky Travel? What can I say… Geofftech domination commences here!

Matt … no i’m keeping all my old iPods. I’m going to make a museum out of them, so that in 30 years time when the kids have an object the size of a matchbox that is your phone/pda/mp3/video player, etc.. we can say “Look we had to have these big clunky individual things in our day” … [insert your own favourite Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch line here]

Mikey.. lots of issues with codecs when it comes to MPEGS! email me and we’ll discuss…

You’re all just jealous anyway 😉

The iPod museum? Sounds like a byproduct of that severely fraudulent poll you had to determine the fate of the 50p iPod!

23. Neil says:

People – please don’t encourage Geoff to self-promote himself if you can avoid it.

It’s bad enough that we have to be told every time he’s on Sky Travel 🙂

24. Couldn’t you have waited for the rest of us to contribute 50ps towards your new Video iPod thing, like you did last time? Honestly, no sense of patience any more…

DG – you never gave me 50p last time anyway!!

26. Chris says:

I think that if you want a video on the iPod, you should donate 1.89 for the privilege..

27. Roland says:

Geoff

The Firewire in iPod is only Firewire 400 which is slower than USB 2.0, if Apple were to implement Firewire 800 in the ipod’s this would blow USB 2.0 away. But the Firewire chipset is little more expensive and most new PC’s users have USB 2.0

28. Roland says:

I want a Video iPod for my collection but with USB Sync only I have to wait for my next MAC

29. Roland says:

Recommendation Geoff

Buy a HD/DVD Recorder (http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=558&v=users) – I have one

and a QuickTime Pro License

You can record MTV, TMF, Eastenders etc… FTP from the KISS players HD to your computer, convert the VOB files to DV format, then use QT Pro to convert to iPod M4V (H.264) file format for you video iPod.

Saves you having to purchase video form the iTunes music store or any other source + you’ll be able to fill it with your own content.

Cost to will be about 280 for all the kit.

30. Meh. I’m going to go with the PSP for my portable video needs.

31. Kathleen says:

Geoff wedding list needs updated!! more pretty dresses plz
    So just laughed outloud about the two novelty shaped birthday cakes 🙂

32. Gartheride says:

He should have a long spoon that sups with the devil… Gartheride