You can’t beat a bit of Bully

Even I fancy myself looking this goodOh dearest iTunes, how fickle thou hadst made me. For last weeks ‘fave’ tune of mine (Madonna’s “Hung up”) has been bumped already, almost as soon as it came synchronised into my iLife.

I mentioned a few weeks ago here, that for every year for as long as I can remember (even in the days when we only had cassette tapes kids!), I’ve always made a compilation list of my favourite songs at the end of the year – my ‘faves’ list as it were.

Even up until last year there have never been more than 28 songs in this list .. usually meaning that I have a ‘current song that I like’ throughout the year on average about once every two weeks.

This year – at the end of October, with two months to go – my ‘2005’ faves playlist on the ‘pod is up to 57 tracks already. This is unusually high, and I can ‘blame’ only one thing – the iTunes music store as it makes it just all too easy to find new music, and browse for new stuff which you think you might like & download at the click of a button. Here’s a good example of how this works:

In the same tradition of me not wanting to buy one item in a shop when handing over a tenner, I find myself not being able to buy just one track in iTunes for 79p and putting it on my credit card, as I feel that a good ‘minimum spend’ is at least a fiver.

Audio Bully - I'm in loveSo on Friday morning just gone, I’ve lined up in my cart ‘Summer Holiday’ and “Bachelor Boy’ (Cliff Richard songs to play for the wedding – don’t ask) but feel that I need to add some more tunes before I buy. iTunes makes this all too easy – as Apple obviously want it to be – as I head over to the ‘Electronic’ genre to see what the top selling track is at the moment, and see that it’s Audio Bully “I’m in love” – which I’ve never heard of before. So I give it the ol’ 30 second preview … sounds good, I click to buy, along with a couple of other tracks, download, sync the ‘pod and then head on out for wedding-eve duty.

I end up playing the Audio Bully track more or less repeatedly on the drive down to the restaurant where everyone is meeting up, as it quite quickly becomes apparent to me that I like it quite a lot.

The Happy CoupleLater, when I have to run an errand to go and pick something up that someone’s forgotten, I play it a few times again, and then I have to drive home again to pick up my smart shoes that I realise I’ve forgotten, and then drive back once more. And all the time it’s getting played, and played, and played.

I can’t get to sleep that night, so whack it on a few more times with my headphones in bed. I get some sleep. Morning comes. I get up, and I play it again. I head out in my car again to set up stuff for the wedding, and again it gets played. I’m beginning to wonder how many times it is now.

Then I go and do the wedding. I do the usher thing, and it would appear that I look quite dashing in wedding garb. A Routemaster bus is involved, as is an original Setright ticket machine. Photos, fireworks (below), food, drink, speeches, laughter a few tears, some new people to meet and talk to, a loud band playing music – and even some wedding vows between the happy couple (right) all make up a glorious day.

Altogether now … "Aaaah"

And then the wedding ends and we all go home, and then it’s Sunday morning – driving home – and I’m reflecting upon the previous day and I turn the radio on instead (not my iPod!) in my car, and . . . the Audio Bully song comes on!

It’s one of those “you couldn’t make it up moments”, and it’s at that point that I know that this song will now irrevocably be linked to my memories of this weekend. Forever! That’s quite a commitment to a song, especially when you realise (and I should actually stress this point a lot) that the lyrics of the song don’t actually fit my mood or situation specifically (I never am a lyrics person, the music always come first for me), but somehow the overall feel and vibe of the tune does seem to fit in with how I’m feeling.

I get home. Sync up & inspect the play count column. It’s got 43 plays in just three days. Shit – that’s a lot.

At this moment of writing this, I’ve just gone back to correct the typos, re-reading it as I go and it occurs to me that if it was me reading this, I’d be thinking “What a load of old bollocks you’re spouting Geoff”. So I stuck on the track in question, here, now – as I type this, and it suddenly all felt right again and it brought a tear to my eye. So there – it’s still working.

So here’s an idea: In the comments here, it’d be nice if everyone wrote about a particular ‘fave’ tune of theirs and the time or event that it reminds you off. Especially if when you hear it, that track has the power to bring a tear to your eye.

Fancy myself in a non-gay way, that isYou don’t have to go into detail (although you can if you like), just say what the song is and whether it’s a happy or sad memory. And that includes you lurkers out there. Go on – you don’t have to give your real name.

Incidentally, don’t let your active imagination come to more conclusions than I might be alluding to. Think less rather than more, and you’ll be in the right area.

Also, anyone who would like to discuss the theory of continental drift – please feel free to email me.

And those who googled their way here looking for ‘Bullseye’ references – I apologise, and you’ll probably want to go here instead.

And would be terribly vain for me to say that I think I scrub up quite well? Don’t answer that.

50 responses to “You can’t beat a bit of Bully”

1. Leanne says:

I really don’t think the caption “scrubs up” does the photo’s justice. I would have gone for “Geoff looking his most dapper self”, or “Geoff – like you’ve never seen him before”, or even “Geoff – modelling the latest wedding attire for men of the 21st century”.

You look absolutely fabulous mate….. now I can’t wait to find out if you pulled; you definately should have done.

2. Well, it seems I’m the first at this …

A song that brings happy memories to me, is “Jack and Diane” by John Mellencamp.

I actually went to an outdoor concert when I was in Ontario, Canada in 1999. Now, I say went, it was more “dragged”! I didn’t really want to go on the basis I only knew that one song. However, the concert was electric. I was sitting on the terraces at the Molson Ampitheatre, whilst big strapping Canadian men all round me were smoking dope! Everytime I hear the song now, I still smell that smell!

#Oh yeah life goes on … Long after the thrill of livin is gone … Oh yeah they say life goes on … Long after the thrill of livin is gone … # … mmmm, can you smell it too?

thansk to Neil today who sent me an email saying:

Where did you get that picture of the fireworks from in your wedding blog entry? Do you know who took it?

You cheeky little so and so! I may not have a super SLR camera, but my Nikon 3200 does have a ‘fireworks’ mode setting which when combined with a tripod (of which I have a minature one) take great photos like this!

Yes, they’re MY photos mate!

4. Rich says:

I’ve been pondering this for a few hours now – so many songs, so many memories.

I can narrow it down to several tunes from Blur’s Life trilogy – I settled on ‘Best Days’ from ‘Great Escape’ and I guess it’s best described as bittersweet – from a period of my life where it changed significantly.

5. kate says:

One of my “makes me think of a moment” songs is a really cool song caled “Best Day Of Your Life” by AntiProduct.

I was on my way to see thus band in Swansea, of a summer afternoon. I was a little nervous of the long train journey over there, but received a phone call on the way from a girl i was meeting up with there and didn’t know too well.

On going into the Severn Tunnel, the weather was a little bit miserable. It was also a bit…i dunno, i was worried that the tunnel would collapse or something! Anyway, i put some music on, and the second that the train flew out of the mouth of the tunnel, the carriage was bathed in sunlight, the view was getting more and more lovely, and the introduction to this song came on, which is so uplifting and happy.

After having a chat with my friend on arrival, it seems that she had exactly the same thing happen to her – right as her train pulled out of the tunnel, the same song came on.

Now every time i listen to it i remember that bit, and then when the band played the song at the gig, bouncing around like a loon, and chanting “well it’s the best day of your life, and tomorrow’s gonna be even better” – the chorus (but the lyrics fit so well too!)

happy happy! 🙂

6. zuzula says:

you look hot! i hardly recognized you 😉

Okay, here’s my tune… slush alert though!

I have a big soft spot for Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I’d never heard it before until one night about three years ago. I’d just moved in with my then BF, we lit loads of candles, he cooked a fab dinner and we had a few glasses of wine, and started talking about our favourite music. He played me this song and told me he loved me. It was just one of those perfect moments.

Well, the man and the moment are both long gone but that tune still reminds me of how great life is when everything works out 🙂

7. Mat Wood says:

Great blog entry Mr. Tech! 🙂 For me personally, one of the songs that always gets me is “Take On Me” by A-Ha – happy memories of sixth form nights out in Camberley on the p*ss for 1.50 a bottle!

And whilst we’re on the subject of iPod “most played”… my most played is Kelly Clarkson “Because Of You” (which I *love* – sorry!)… 60 odd plays for that (not quite as hardcore as you, Geoff with multi-playing songs… that’s 60 plays since about June! My 6iPod gets played every day but tends to be on shuffle at work then I pick and choose stuff on the way to/from work (usually!)

8. Mat Wood says:

PS. Have e-mailed the legendary Geoff before but this is my first time commenting on one a blog! 😉

9. Smudger says:

What on earth is going on…..

10. Dan says:

Blur – End Of A Century, happy times and sad times, from the first kiss to inevitably being dumped. What a tune.

‘We all say, don’t want to be alone, we wear the same clothes cus we feel the same……..’

11. Smudger says:

‘Disintegration’ or ‘The Same Deep Water as You’ by The Cure, just reminds me of times gone by….

12. Paul Webb says:

It has to be Elvis ‘If I Can Dream’. It is a song I have battled long and hard to champion. I had a registry office marriage and we were told that we could have three songs to play: this song was already one of my favourites, and it just seemed to fit the mood, but (the them future) Mrs Webb didn’t like it much…until I played it quite a few times and got her to really listen to both the music and the lyrics. Gradually she fell in love with it and it was the first song that way played after the vows.

Some years later I met a real hardcore Elvis fan and told him about this. He knew the song, but again didn’t really rate it, until I demanded that he REALLY listen to it. Once again, it became one of his favourites and he recommended it to a mutual friend. A couple of months ago I went to this friend’s wedding and it was the first song played after HIS vows.

The song also shows what a talent Elvis could be if he really wanted to be – he had to fight Col. Parker to perform it (the Colonel felt that it was too political, coming soon after the ‘I Have A Dream’ speach).

The song just works on so many levels for me, but most of all it reminds me of the day I married the woman I love.

BUY IT! LISTEN TO IT! LEARN TO LOVE IT!

Harry Hill also uses it as the closing number on his stage show…

13. When I was about 7 one Christmas time, I fell asleep to the tune of Last Christmas by Wham. thus, every bloody time I hear it I get a momentary urge to fall asleep.

and how do you get to go to so many glam weddings?!

14. ian says:

Dan – You must be about 12! Is this blog suitable for minors?

For me, Pulp’s Different Class album reminds me of moving into the first flat I owned, shuttling up and down the motorway with all my worldly possessions in the car, and the album on repeat. I have since decided that a carreer in removals was not for me.

15. RossP says:

Middle of winter 1991, overnight train through the centre of the North Island in New Zealand. Just after midnight on a crystal clear night, watching out the train window as a not quite full moon rose over a snow covered Mount Ruapehu with “Dominion/Mother Russia” by Sisters of Mercy blasting on a walkman. Chilling……

Dub Be Good to Me by Beats International is my happy memory song.

14, turning 15.. Going out with the very cute guy on the towns football team who I had had a crush on for ages. His best mate was going out with my best mate, and they’d pick the two of us up in one of their cars every lunchtime, and we’d park near the beach and eat chips and that song would nearly always come on.

Strangely, I never bought it.. I finally did 2 weeks ago on ITUnes and my bloody IPod has refused to sync since *lol*

There is another song that makes me cry every time I hear it, but thats a really sad memory, so I won’t depress you all

17. Dan says:

Why the smeg must I be 12? With logic like that I can only assume that you are 11 years of age.

18. tigerlily says:

One song that always makes me want to reach for a box of tissues is… I don’t want to miss a thing by Aerosmith. Reminds me of wonderful memories and thoughts of what could have been, if things had been different.

19. Amy says:

Chilliwack. (The band) Opus 12 will forever remind me of a few fellows in my youth…

20. Amy says:

Paula, JCM ‘Jack and Diane’, will forever remind me of a dear friends 16th b-day party. Good times 🙂

21. So, I’m Paula now am I?! mmm … dodgy hormone replacements! Its, Paul (aka Agent Birmingham)

Does my bum look big in this?

22. Alan P says:

Looking very dapper Geoff, may I propose that you wear this on your next Tube challenge?.

One of my favourites is Slide Away by Oasis. The words of the chorus just make me think of my girlfriend :-

“Now that your mine, I’ll find a way of chasing the sun
    let me be the one that shines with you
    in the morning, when you don’t know what to do
    two of a kind, we’ll find a way
    to do what we’ve done

let me be the one that shines with you
    and we can slide away”.

I know that they are not your thing but I can recommend this one, especially Liam’s voice – full of passion.

Geoff has some pictures to upload to his birthday website ASAP…

24. Chris says:

Geoff, have you not noticed the ‘s’ on the end of ‘Bullys’?

“Bullys” should surely be “Bullies”; if it was “Bulleys” then it would be acceptable but it isn’t, so there. Surely.

26. Neil says:

That is how they spell it.

So there.

27. Nicola says:

Tragically Britney Spears “Lucky”. I don’t like her, and I don’t like the song. However when I was about 11-13 I had a pet rat called Spot. No, really. He was very cute. However after a couple of years he was old for a rat and got a bit ill, and wasn’t eating or anything. It was around Christmas time and he just got weaker and weaker, and on Christmas Eve I really thought he wouldn’t hang on to Christmas morning. I couldn’t sleep so I lay awake listening to the radio, and they played this song. At the chorus (“She’s so lucky, she’s a star But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking If there’s nothing missing in my life Then why do these tears come at night?”) It all got too much and I just cried my eyes out. In the end Spot did make it through Christmas, but he died on Boxing Day. He the first pet which was properly mine to have died, and that song just brings back all the memories. If I was to hear it now I would properly burst into tears.

So yes, there’s my happy tale about that song.

28. stroppycow says:

All I wanna do is have some fun… Sheryl crow. Reminds me of an evening in a garage with some friends fiddling with car engines. Always a shame to think such a rubbish song has the power to bring back excellent memories.

In the End – Linkin Park

Reminds me of being round my best mates house as a teenager, watching it on satellite, before he messed up his teenage years with alcohol and drugs…two things that i now hate because of what it did to him

30. peanut says:

my best friend got given a banger for her 17th birthday (August 12th btw) and passed her driving test the same day. Everyone trekked out for a rowdy party in the country and she and and other girl stupidly went out racing their cars on the dirt roads. Bernie lost control and ran the car up a bank, and I remember coming around the corner after them, dust still hanging in the air and the car on its side with the windscreen smashed in. All that you could hear was that stifling country silence and the engine ticking as it cooled, and Jane’s addiction, Stop, on the stereo. Damn, only just realised the irony of that! Everyone was ok except the car.

31. Peter says:

A lot of my life’s been shit, and I could probably pick a million songs that could refer to crap times I’ve been through, but I won’t, ‘cos it’s depressing and, to be honest, boring.

So I’ll pick “Another Man’s Woman” by Supertramp, which I had on in my van the night I went to a Happy Mondays gig at the Shepherd’s Bush empire, and the backstage party after, with a mate of mine I was playing in a band with at the time (the drummer). Anyway, his mate that was with us (the one that got us into the backstage party) was somehow getting on his nerves, and at some point he took his glasses off, punched him, and walked off. The glasses were borrowed from his mate’s wife, and were never found, and we drove around for a while and couldn’t find my mate either. He did make it home though.

Happy times.

The next morning I went to Italy for a week.

32. Kathleen says:

Can’t think of a song just now..but Geoff looking rather good in the first photo! Post more!

33. Peter says:

Just found a site about a 200GB upgrade for the iPod nano, and thought I’d mention it here. It really is a must-have upgrade for the iPod nano, giving it a genuinely decent size storage capacity.

Here it is:

34. Jono says:

Ah, the Uncyclopedia. A must-read for everyone. Filled with information.

35. As nice as it sounds, based on a song being 5mb each, who really has 40,000 songs to put on an iPod?

jono – what’s your favourite memory jerking song? you are noticable in the comments here by your absence…

37. Paul Webb says:

Hi Geoff – nice to have you back. I’m just about to have a cup of tea and a biscuit if you fancy joining me. It’s Rich Tea.

38. Peter says:

Paul, I think it’s more a case of fitting the newly upgraded 200GB iPod nano in your pocket – you had a look?

39. Chris says:

There aren’t any songs that bring a tear to my eye, but The Stills’ Still in Love Song was the first track I heard at the most inappropriate time possible- right after being ditched over the phone.

And so, despite it being a fantastic track, I couldn’t listen to it for 9 months, and still can’t listen to it now without feeling at least slightly sad.

40. Mark Garth says:

Maybe the hard disk is there to add some strength to the Nano!!

41. philippa says:

Goo Goo Dolls: Slide. referring to the relationship ladder theory, he was a lot higher on my ladder than i was on his.

Paul : Am sitting next to you right now (virtually) dunking a Fox’s variation of a Rich Tea into a freshly brewed mug of Tetley’s… yum.

Nice tunes people.. keep ’em coming!? I know there are a couple of you out there that have yet to reveal the ‘tune’ that does it for you.

(Not that i’m like, er.. begging for comments or anything)

43. Amy says:

My apologies PAUL! Amazing what a glass of wine (or two) will do to the reading comprehension (and spelling?) abilities I suppose. 🙂 My apologies.

44. Alan Perks says:

Talking of Fox’s biscuits, isn’t it time you updated the Fox’s page?

45. Jono says:

I have a few songs that bring back different memories for different reasons, but there’s no real big one.

Places on the other hand…

46. scott says:

hmmm, so many songs, so many memories. Gotta pick on Gabrielle, Out Of Reach though. Had lots of happy times to that song 😉

47. Amy, apology accepted … but to be completely forgiven, you need to visit my blog and post a comment (or three!)

Ta for all your tunes and memories, people. I love the fact that probablt most of us have got a song that ‘does’ it for us in some shape or form.

I also hope that because of you posting it here, you went and played the song that you mentioned and had four minutes of memories that you might not have otherwise had today. Enjoy!

49. Smelly Cat says:

Audio Bullys (sic) – what a dreadful tune. Awful sounding vocals. Simplistic lyrics. You have strange (aka poor) taste!

SmellyCat –

and isn’t that the beauty of music? A song that does it for one person completely fails to ‘do it’ for another – and vice versa.

Who says lyrics have to mean something? Who says you have to like a song because of the lyrics?

My taste in music is not strange or poor – it’s just different to yours, and personal to me as is everybody’s own musical choice, and it’s rather arrogant of you to slag my tastes off. think about that! if you can’t acknowledge that music is a personal preference, and it doesn’t hurt ANYONE else to like a particular song, then you have a problem my friend…!