One for the ladies

Clothes RackA new theory. Ok – not so much a theory but a discussion point.

I had a conversation with my friend Adrian on Saturday, where he revealed to me that one his female colleagues had ‘confessed’ to him that when she went clothes shopping she would often do this:

Have an idea in mind of what she wanted to buy, but when she found something she liked … she would hide it away in the shop either buy putting it on a different rack/shelf, or in the wrong place – so that she could then go browsing in other shops, and later – if she wanted to – would come back and get that item knowing that no one else could have taken it, because she’d hidden it away.

So my mate then asked about 10 other women in his workplace, and it transpired that about 8 out of 10 of them (Jimmy Carr link not intentional) also all did this!

So … really? Ladies? Do you do this? Hide clothes away that you think you might like to come back later and buy? Do any men out their want to confess to ever having done this? Or are there any other strange shopping rituals at all that you’d like to confess to?

All comments are in the strictest of confidence, as always …

29 responses to “One for the ladies”

1. Mark Garth says:

Errrrrr, I have done this once or twice, but the first time was under the instruction of my wife.

2. Ian says:

Every time I go to HMV, I consider hiding the coldplay cds in amongst quality music.

3. Neil says:

What, and risk sullying the quality music?

I usually take a load of Floyd albums and put them in front of the stuff on either side.

4. Kathleen says:

No..clearly im not shop smart

Ian – you still bother going to HMV? Get with the 21st century mate and DOWNLOAD your choons… you’re so behind. 🙂

6. Ian says:

I know this will worry you, but I still have vinyl in the house. I like having a physical medium for my music. It’s not like digital photography, which increases the volume of photos I can take, and reduces the cost by allowing me to only print the ones I think worthy. I just don’t see the commensurate advantages of downloading music. If I can have all mu music in one place, the converse of downloaded music is that I have to have all my music in one place (or have multiple music players around the house).

Besides, I have calculated that encoding all my existing music would take forever and I can’t be arsed.

I remember when the good old days when this here internet was just text, you know.

Neil – I make sure they’re shrink rapped, so whiny noises can’t escape.

7. zuzula says:

Hmmm, sometimes I do that… but normally I just ask the cashiers to put it aside for me for a couple of hours!

Zu – do you ever try stuff on though in shops or is that a waste of time? One of my mate’s girlfriends told me that she’ll just buy ten things, then take them home and try them all on, and take back eight of them that she doesn’t like as she hates using changing rooms in shops…

Ian – Err I still have vinyl in my house too! Occasionally, I dig one out and record it onto my PC, de-crackle it, and import into iTunes… so, no – i don’t find that worrying. However if you were still in the habit of buying vinyl …

10. Ian says:

Err, well, yes.

But mostly old stuff that was never on CD.

11. Stefan says:

I have to admit to doing this from time to time…

12. pixeldiva says:

Err. I can’t remember ever having done this. I tend to think that if I like it enough to want it, then I’ll buy it right there and then.

If I see something better later, then I’ll decide whether it really is better, and if so, I’ll buy it too, and then probably have both items, as I almost never take stuff back to the shops.

Not that I go clothes shopping all that often, it has to be said.

13. Emma says:

Have to be honest- never done this .. but mianly cos everyone in High Wycombe seems to be the same size as me and because I am not an avid shopper (yes really!) I go ‘late’ and there is never anything in my size left ..!! DOH!

14. er yea … I’ve done it (hangs head in shame) … Are there any women here who buy clothes, wear them once and then return them after washing them? I know someone at my work place who’s done that … Shame on you women!

15. AndrewTM says:

I’ve several times thought about doing the clothes-hiding thing but I’m not sure I’ve actually done it. Maybe put some 32/34″ trousers on a 40″ hanger and hidden them at the back of the rack???
    I’m useless at clothes shopping, and I’ve learned that on the rare occasion I see something I actually like I must buy it there and then else it’ll be gone and I’ll regret it for ages.

16. jo e says:

hello geoff!

i’ve only done that with cds, not clothes, i find that boring (in a small minority of ladies!) although it is a very good idea.

your blog is fantastic i love reading it. i saw you on the telly (sky travel extra *blush*)

take care!

17. Sam says:

Not that I go clothes shopping often because I hate it, but I have been known to do this in the past, I also will neveer use changing rooms in shops because they are just ewww, I don’t know, just something about them! 🙂

18. My sisters are great believers in catalogue shopping. Mostly because they order shedloads of things, try them at home, and then send them all back saying they don’t fit or whatever. I’m surprised the catalogue shoppers haven’t cottoned on to this.

I prefer a much simpler clothes shopping solution. Head into store, head for sale rack, find something that fits, buy it. This is why my clothes wardrobe hasn’t been updated since 1994.

19. stroppycow says:

Yep done that, because I am not big on decision making so could never buy anything there and then.
    Being on the *aheum* top heavy side, I have also mismatched suits hoping the cashier won’t notice. Ah well I am sure there are some pear shaped girls out tere who were glad to find the corresponding mismatched suit on the rack 🙂

20. Peter says:

Can’t say I’ve ever specifically done that, but I’d be glad of someone who did, as on the occasions I do go clothes shopping all the shirts or whatever in my size are pretty rare, and if things were in order it’d be good. But size, not colour. I also once had an idea for a comedy sketch involving a man going into a lingerie department, trying something on, and, well, I won’t mention the next bit in case people are having their dinner.

21. kate says:

I do the reverse thing in CD shops – putting the “good” cds at the front if i’ve been looking at them…Sorry to anyone who’s a Visual Merchandiser or whatever it’s called.

Clothes-wise, i hate going clothes-shopping so it’s more a case of “that looks ok, i’ll buy it” rather than “lets secrete it somewhere in case i don’t find something else” thing. It does make sense i suppose, but you could always ask at the counter and get something put by if it’s that important!

22. Geoff's Cousin (Phil) says:

Peter,

That’s not a comedy sketch – that’s your fantasy

23. c0y0t3 says:

Ah, I see! Is that why all the good clothings I’d found never been in the right rail? someone must be hiding it in different place(s) and I’ve found it. I feel sorry for whoever the person is and wonder what she might be thinking when she decided to come back to get it! cos.. apparently I’d bought it, instead! *evil grin*

OK, confession: I used to do it long time ago, but instead of hiding it in different rail, I’ll hide it in rails for men instead! Lower chance of it getting spotted.. ups! And apparently lower chance for myself even to find it again when I comes back!*grumble grumble*

24. Virginia Gal says:

Interesting question – I’ve never done this, if I love something, I’ll just go ahead and get it, if I am iffy and leave it and come back to find it gone, it means I wasn’t suppose to have it in the first place.

25. kate says:

but what happens if the shop assistant people are being attentive that day, and move it back to where it belongs?

Would the people who hide things then go back to the original rail and look for them?

26. Neil says:

Well, if you hide a black cardigan in a row of bright pink tops you’re not really trying 🙂

This is where your hiding skills come in and you have to be creative … Put it at the back of some thick winter coats if there are any out. That’s always a good one.

27. Peter says:

Phil – I might have a sometimes warped sense of humour, but I’m not *that* warped as a person.

28. Rob(Geoff's brother-in-law) says:

Yeah, i’ve “hidden” items in shops, then gone back for
    them….clothes, CDs/LPs, they were the favourite ones!

29. Geoff's Mum (Tina) says:

You could buy your stuff from M & S (I know.. the’re a bit ‘mumsy’,
    take it all home for a try-on session, then take it all back for
    a refund if it doesn’t fit, or as Kate says ask them to put it aside,
    they will hold things for 24hrs, or… they will get stuff in for you
    in different sizes and colours, most obliging. Are there any other
    clothes shops that give you your money back, no questions asked?
    Please let me know, as I’ve often changed my mind about something
    when I get home, and been to scared to go back, so have a wardrobe full
    of purple cardigans and orange mini-skirts which looked good in the store.