Pop Quiz, Hot Shot(s)

Ooh I dunno, say … a box of Oreo biscuits cookies for the winner?

What’s the odd one out:

James Brown, Kim Wilde, Green Day, Debbie Harry, Eurythmics, KLF, Red Box, Madonna and Jakatta.

Think about it!

In the meantime, I am desperate for a copy of Holly Johnson’s “Americanos”. Anyone got an MP3 they can send to me? Just wondered.

The quote by the way, is courtesy of Speed.

43 responses to “Pop Quiz, Hot Shot(s)”

Erm, no idea who is the odd one out.

Quick query, for those of you who know what happens when you mix mentos and cola, do you know any thing else thats fun to mix?

No, but I bet you can’t eat five plain cream crackers without also taking a sip of a drink of some description.

Or put a fruit pastille in your mouth without chewing.

And so on …

3. scottb says:

Madonna — because her name was mis-spelled (ie. Maddona)

or, Jakatta because it’s the only one I’ve never heard of.

4. Alan Perks says:

I am not Alan P!!

5. Mark Garth says:

I’m guessing Red Box because (guessing again) it’s to do with singing in movies or performing soundtracks??????????

6. Mark Garth says:

and as far as I know, they haven’t!

7. Mark Garth says:

In fact, I have no idea who they are 🙂

8. N.o.rthener says:

Let me see
    James Brown – Living in America
    Kim Wilde – Kids in America
    Green Day – American Idiot
    Eurythmics – king and queen of america
    KLF – America (what time is love)
    Red Box – For America
    Maddona – Ameriican Pie
    Jakatta – american dream

Debbie Harry – Urm can’t think of one therefore the odd one out

9. Mark Garth says:

I thought Deborah Harry sang the theme song to ‘Polyester’?

10. Jono says:

Are the Oreos meant to be an incentive to enter the quiz? Why not offer something edible instead?

ooo…insulting the oreos…you’re gonna hit a raw nerve

Madonna typo corrected. It’s not Madonna.

13. kate says:

All the above are true, but Debbie Harry sang a song called French Kissing in the USA. So that’s marginally the odd one out, as it says USA instead of America?

14. Peter says:

Yeah, I thought it was something to do with America, but I really can’t be arsed to think about it. And I thought it was 7 cream crackers. And also, you can’t fold any bit of paper in half more than seven times, so the rumour mill says. That’s the rumour mill, not the paper mill. Paper mills don’t speak.

15. kate says:

#10 – if you win, you could always just taunt people with them instead of eating them! Or auction them off to the highest iBlog bidder?

16. Nerdy movie pedantic alert: The actual quote is “Pop quiz, hot shot!”. Singular. Honest.

Hated oreos. But just discovered Jaffa Cake Lime and Raspberry. Watch my weight shoot up to 20 stone…

Discovered the new Jaffa Cakes a few weeks ago, and being a massive Jaffa Cakes fan i went nuts, but was hugely dissapointed with the new flavours, lime is ok, but i cannot bear to eat the blackcurrent, they are awful

18. I have a CD of Espiritu’s ‘Los Americanos’, which is far superior to Holly Johnson’s song, if that’s any assistance to you. Also, if you’re after US themed songs, how about ‘Open Up’ by Leftfield/Lydon?

Is Mr. N.O.rtherner correct, or should we continue?

Ok, I have had by Holly Johnson needs met! Thank you people! No need for anyone else to send it to me …

Could you explain why ‘Open up’ is a US themed song, Ian?

N.o.rthener is indeed correct with Debbie Harry, but they couldn’t explain why. Kate got it for the simple fact that all the other songs have “America” in the title, whereas Ms. Blondie mentions “USA” instead. So they’re both right, dammit.

And Espiritu is only superior in your opinion, Ian 🙂

21. “burn, hollywood, burn”

Re: 20. Well, I shan’t be digging out the Rhythm Sisters’ “American Boys” or Baxendale’s marvellous “An American Friend” if that’s your attitude 🙂

22. kate says:

how about that “America” song from West Side Story? that’s quite chirpy! “…i want to live in america…la la la la la america….” etc!

23. #8 French Kissing in the USA!

Geoff, didn’t know anyone else had heard of Red Box…takes me back 20 yrs! I have a copy of The Circle and The Square on vinyl … quality listening!

Blondie had an album called Autoamerican (UK No. 1).

So Debbie Harry is the odd one out because she *alone* has not done a *song* with “American” in the title, but instead has done an *album* with her *band* with “American” in the title.

That’s ok Ian, I won’t be (finally) sending you you can of Black Cherry Dr. Pepper then, that I was just about to go down the post office and do today.. 🙂

“Burn Hollywood Burn”. Oh come on! If you’re going to be that tenuous, you might as well have the 12″ version of U2’s ‘Desire‘ in their too, because of the “In Hollywood tonight…” lyric.

Talking of 12″‘s, yes Paul – Paul, Red Box rule! Quality cheese eighties. I have ‘Lean on me’ on 12″ Vinyl … oh, that takes me back…

Thing I will forever miss aboutr cheesey 80’s music is picture discs. Just wait till Paul McCartney dies and I make a small fortune with my Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus picture disc *L*

I have discovered Mini Oreos as sold in Waitrose. They rock.

Being the lovely, kind hearted person that I am, I have actually got a present for Geoof.. but I feel the need to make himw ork for it and answer pointless questions now *L*

27. Camilla says:

hmm I feel young, I *think* the bands you are talking about split up before
    I was born (1988 if anyone want to correct me)

*giggle*

also oreos rock

28. I’ve got T-shirts that I bought at gigs before Camilla was born. oh god.

Fimb … a present? for me!! Ooh. ok, what pointless question do I have to answer?

Camilla – have you ever actually seen a vinyl record! lol…

30. Can I just mention Young Americans by David Bowie?

thankyou

No, you can’t, because it’s his worst album.

Well, in my opinion.

oooh! good one. i’ll add it to my list. thanks. any more, anyone?

33. Anthony: I have two words for you. Tin and Machine.

Geoff: How about ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart (Manic Street Preachers, Holy Bible)

Come on, Ian. Tin machine was immeasurably superior to Young Americans.

I also think Never Let Me Down is quite good, which many do not. “Heroes” is great, as well.

35. I see Nina Gordon is still in your top 10 (#9)list. She is an American, if anyone cares.

that’ll be where i’ve been playing “tonight and the rest of my life” at somepoint this week then.

embarassingly Phil Collins also makes an appearance, but only because i heard “in the air tonight” on the radio a couple of times the other day, and it /is/ quite a good song, so i’ve felt the urge to play it at home. even though it looks embarassing.

37. Allan says:

one more, Duran Duran – Edge of America, from the album Big Thing

38. Alex says:

and another, The Proclaimers – Letter from America.

39. Camilla says:

I have seen vinyl! my mum has a cupboard full of it, some of it is quite good actually.
    although it does include some shocking trash
    saying that i just bought a compilation which includes Sin With Sebatstien…

40. Tower Block Tina says:

Going back to #2 about food mixes, when I were a lass we used to pour ‘Tizer’
    onto a slice of vanilla ice-cream and watch it froth up.Then eat with a spoon.
    Ummmm yummy. Ice-cream was a treat as we didn’t have a ‘fridge, so had to buy it from the corner shop and eat it all straight away. A 4 slice block of ‘Walls’ was 1 shilling
    & 3pence.i.e. about 6p. Also worked with cream soda. Bought a can of ‘Tizer’ recently,
    but it doesn’t taste as good. Later on we used to put crisps into sandwiches to liven
    them up! Does anybody still do this?

41. How come no-one’s mentioned the KLF and What Time Is Love (American remix)? 😉

42. What, apart from no. 8 and the main post, WE?

43. Alan P says:

How’s about ‘Magic America’ by those lovable mockneys Blur?