Starch contrast

Potato DemonstrationI’ve just been through the main entrance at work, to find that there is a large group of people and two people dressed up in fluffy ‘spud’ costumes, handing out free bags of potatoes.

I couldn’t figure out what the hell was going on, when one of the people of the group offered me a bag “Just because we’re giving them away!” he said – but my hands ramained firmly in my pockets thinking that something very odd was going on here.

It wasn’t until I’d wandered over to the tube station to buy a new Oystercard to replace the one that I lost last week and came back, took a photo on my camera phone (first time that I’ve used a picture from my phone on my blog) that I then got chatting to one of the policemen that I found out what was really go on.

Vivaldi PotatoesTurns out, they’re from Vivaldi potatoes, where “Tasting is believing”, and that ‘a BBC programme’ (he wasn’t sure which) had apparantly said something non-complimentary about their product, and hence they’d decided to ‘protest’ by turning up on a cold and rainy day and giving out free bags of potatoes to all and sundry.

Trouble is, I can’t find anything anywhere that we (the Beeb) say that is disparaging – if anything, all I’ve got is this article where it talks kindly about them. So what the F are they complaining about?

All potato-related-puns in the comments most welcome …

23 responses to “Starch contrast”

I’m keeping my eyes peeled for potato’s walking around…extremely poor i know, all i could think of

2. Jono says:

Ooh, mind that Greengrocer’s Apostrophe, Mikey.

3. It’s the King of titles!

I’d keep an eye on those spuds if I were you.

Tensions boil over outside TVC.

Chipping away at free speech outside TVC.

4. pixeldiva says:

Blimey. They must be baking mad.

(weak I know, but best I could come up with for now)

I was hoping for something more spudtacular than that!

I doubt you’ll receive anything more than a few half-baked puns here, Geoff. Most of the commenters are small fries when it comes to pun battling.

PS. I had some Vivaldi potatoes from Sainsburys once, and I thought that they were very nice indeed! I had a feeling that they would be a trademark rather than a genuine variety. (see also Jersey Royal, which is a brand rather than a variety.)

7. Jackal says:

My favourite kind of spud… potatoes au gratis.

Ooh, I dunno – I reckon people could waffle on for ages if they tried.

9. good quality photo – what phone did you say you have?

10. Tower Block Tina says:

Geoff,why didn’t you take the free spuds? shouldn’t knock a free meal, I
    would have taken them off you. We eat a lot of them here.Did you think
    they might be poisoned!

oh C’MON people .. “Waffle on”, that deserves some credit!

I thought the potatos might be tainted, yes!

My phone? It’s a super sexy Noxia N70, and it’s the dogs doo-dahs.

12. pixeldiva says:

You might even say that it’s “waffily” versatile…

13. “Noxia” Geoff?? Isn’t that an American brand of shaving creme? 😉

I’ve been mashing my brains trying to think of a potato pun for the last hour but can’t come up with a single thing.

I wonder how desperate you are to have to take a job dressed as a lady potato.

14. Oh!! And speaking of misspellings, delibrate or otherwise, you still have “ye olde BOG roll” on the right sidebar. It reminds me of the TV show I just watched about these peat bogs in the British Isles somewhere where they discovered perfectly preserved bodies thrown in there during the 12th century or something… and *shiver* the people were tortured and murdered before being thrown in the bogs. Now will you please stop waffling and change BOG to BLOG!??

15. Pixeldiva. If that jingle doesn’t get out of my head soon, I’m holding you personally responsible for my decreased sanity.

16. Sad says:

maybe they are complaining about you geoff taking a picture of them and publishing it on you blog.

Call me sad but I saw Geoff on Sky 3 doing his tube challenge. I actually spent 30minutes of my life watching the programme called The Tube.

Kris… “Bog” is UK slang for the “toilet”. So it’s a gag. “Toilet Roll” = “Bog Roll”. i.e. what you wipe your arse with. Geddit?

“Taking the piss” – you being deliberate with the puns now?

No, it’s all true – here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bog

19. No…I am just trying not to forget all that British English you taught me. I’d caution you not to forget either!! 😉

20. Alan Perks says:

Kris, would one not be wiping one’s fanny with the bog roll in your version of our language?

21. Yes indeed Alan…all except for MY brilliant & fascinating blog of course! 😉

22. Those of you interested in seeing both the original piece, and video footage of dancing potatoes, should go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/default.stm and click on the video link in the top right (Should reporters cross the line) – it’s about 5:30 minutes in.

It seems quite small potatoes to me. I’m surprised they made such a meal of it.

23. Smudger says:

I got given 20Kg of Vivaldi the other day as they couldn’t sell them. Perhaps it’s just a way to get a bit more publicity and perhaps one day sell some!.