Banana Post (Part 673)

One food stuff that I did not have in my pancakes the other night was Bananas.

As a man that’s been known to put them through the post before, people do find it strange that I don’t really like bananas. Or at least I didn’t, because I sort of do a bit now.

Back over christmas, I got convinced to try a little banana for the first time in about 15 years, and whilst not absolutely thinking it was the best thing I’d ever eaten, it also wasn’t as horrible as I think I used to find them, and since then I have actually made an effort to eat a couple of bananas.

Anyway – someone out there right now will know where this is all leading too, because for the first time in a long time yesterday – I got a banana sent to me in the post!

A squishy parcel with the look of a dark stain in one of the corners of the envelope turned up for me yesterday at work.

A quick sniff of the package before I opened it confirmed to me what it was, and upon carefully opening it, it did indeed reveal a rather mushed up, black and slightly ‘leaking’ banana where it had gone all squishy and was spilling out inside, staining the envelope.

It also had the words “YOU RULE” etched into the skin – which you can’t really see in the picture here.

So, er.. “thanks” to whoever sent it to me … although rather intruigingly it got sent to my old work address at the BBC where I used to be based about five years ago, and so had taken an extra couple of days to get to me where I am now – which probably meant it lost its ‘freshness’ whilst it went through the internal mail system to get to me.

Whilst ‘on’ bananas, I can’t not mention this – www.cellfoam.com, which as a certain lovely person pointed out to me – might help me get over my ‘hang up’ over bananas. Geddit?

Oh … you’ll have to check out the link first to get the gag!

And I need to mention my new iTune of the week – the song that I’m currently obsessing about (despite my colleague Ciaran saying that “It was gay and all the music I like was gay”), and got 41 plays in two days on my ‘tunes/’pod.

Gnarls Barkley – “Crazy” is my official iTune of the week, and trust me – it’s going to be a big pre-summer smash when it’s released in April, and you read/heard it here first! Sneak preview available here.

Update : Now eating!

Eating BananaHalf past four in the afternoon, and instead of my usual tea & chocolate break at this point of the afternoon, I”m going for the ‘Banana break’ instead.

Thanks to Matt (my manager) for taking a hideously bad photo of me on my camera-phone of me taking the first bite … Mmmm …

24 responses to “Banana Post (Part 673)”

1. James says:

Damn! I was planning to do that at some point. 🙁

2. Camilla says:

ha! I wonder what the most exotic fruit we could send to Geoff’s workplace would be…

3. Gary says:

Bananas are fantastic, especially when split down the middle and custard poured over the top of them.

Don’t forget the trick where with a needle and thread, you can slice up a banana whilst leaving it inside its skin, and then when you unpeel it, it falls apart alraedy sliced up! Neat.

5. Camilla says:

you look like you’re enjoying that bannana!!

I confess: I got halfway through it, then it started to go brown, so I binned it. But I honestly ate about half of it. Surely I can’t be the only one who has ‘food issues’ around here?

7. Banana’s are food of the devil … in a yellow costume

8. Mark Garth says:

Hahaha excellent, I hope that doesn’t end up on b3ta!

9. Paul Webb says:

I’m just happy to hear that I am not the only person who doesn’t like bananas that much. Except green ones…

10. People always have them at work and ‘cos they like me so much, they put the skins in my bin … why is the earth full of nice people?! The smell just makes me wanna wrench, as for the taste and the black bits … don’t even get me started! New blog post please Jeff/Geoff

11. Tower Block Tina says:

I like bananas, but only when they are not too ripe. Once they go brown or spotty
    they make me feel sick. Not bad in a ‘smoothie’ though, or sliced on some cereal
    Whatever you do, don’t leave them in your desk drawer, or at the bottom of your handbag, or or the boot of your car, cos they smell! Buy and eat is the way to go.

12. Come visit me in Hawaii where I got ’em growin’ in the front yard.

13. amy says:

Nice sparkly ring Geoff, tried to slip that one past did we? 😉

Ha ha ha! Clever boy, Geoff. I bet you usually eat fruit with your RIGHT hand, as well!

Actually that wasn’t deliberate, and I didn’t realise ’til afterwards … I think it’ coz I picked up phone in my right hand to hand to Matt to take the picture of me, and so the banana was picked up by my left hand. Honest! And you’re not the only one to point it out as well …

16. Neil says:

Aren’t engagement rings supposed to be worn on the right hand?

Or did you just skip all that and do the whole “I do” thing last time you were out there?

17. Camilla says:

i ate a bannana for the first time in months because of you geoff, not bad

18. Mrs Webb says:

With reference to you new itune of the day / week. No comment either way as Sarah Kennedy rocks but it was Radio 2’s tune of the week last week for Ken Bruce!. Yeah well I am on leave and doing lots of baking and stuff in the kitchen where the radio is always tuned to station 2 because the Husband has an irrational loathing for Radio 1 and all the Coldplay it airs!!

LOL Mrs Webb – p.s Paul only wore his wedding ring for about a week and eight years this March 28th it will still be in his cufflinks box. Could have spent the money on Foxes Biscuits or chocolate cake instead!

19. Agreed…the Gnarls Barkley track is an absolute classic. I voted it No.19 in my favourite tracks of last year 🙂
    Theres a full download there but not sure if its expired? Glad to hear its finally getting a full release.

20. Mystery banana sender says:

Glad you got it in the end. I did keep an eye on your site for a couple of days after I sent it, but it still hadn’t arrived by the time I had to go and live in a tent in a mate’s garden to help look after 7200 pints of beer. Obviously due to the old address, but I don’t think I did badly to extract that from your iPod-begging video – I’m *not* someone you know in real life and I have no idea where you live or where you now work (maybe you’re glad about that?)

It’s also interesting to find out that OHP pens apparently etch banana skin – who would have guessed?

21. Camilla says:

OooOO mystery person, a person of mystery, wow, how mysterious, i wanna solve the mystery

22. […] UPDATE: Patently not obscure. Not if Geofftech was championing it a week ago. Really must pay attention to what other people are championing music-wise. […]

23. That Crazy track has to be the *least* gay song I have ever fallen instantly in love with. If I ever need to feel like I’m a funky cool 1970s black dude about to go to some fantastic dark basement club in Harlem, full of funky soul folks, then that’s the track I’m going to put on, man.

Ciaran is an ass. 😉