Map Masher Marshall

Geoff on 5 LiveSo I got on BBC Radio 5 Live in the end then.

Cheers to Chris Vallance from the blogs & podcast section of ‘Up All Night‘ for talking to me, and I suspect at somepoint it may appear as a podcast on PocketPlanetRadio too.

In the meantime, if you missed it – you can hear me here. [2Mb .mp3 file]

Also in the meantime, I’ve altered my pages here – as linking to things that exist on other peoples sites can’t get me in ‘trouble’ can it? Of course not.

Oh, and good morning to TFL & solicitors if you’re reading this. Nice to have you with us again today.

60 responses to “Map Masher Marshall”

1. Simon says:

I see someone’s put a whole bunch of related merchandise on Cafépress, too. Mug looks nice.

2. I’ll do something special with this for you mate . . .

Yuo know me, always have good idea, wait and see I am sure you’ll enjoy what I planned.

Take Care

3. Simon. Would it be ironic if that could raise enough to pay for a licence?

4. Kirk says:

Firstly, I’m not saying that I agree with TfL for doing this, but there is no question that TfL are correct, and they do own the copyright on the Tube Map. Throughout most of the world, via the Berne Convention. And the maps hosted here were breaching that copyright.

As for linking to copyrighted material – well, as someone said, all material is copyrighted. But I can see what your hosts mean. And you’ve very likely breached their T&C’s, so if they wanted to pull the whole site down, they’re more than welcome to, whether the other stuff is your copyright or not.

There we go, that’s my, probably rather unpopular, 2p.

5. NN says:

It’s amazing that TfL can’t see that a site like yours is essentially just good publicity for them… even the “rude map”…

I wonder how much of my tax money they’ve wasted on taking you down – this the legal equivalent of “happy slapping”…

Hope you manage to shame them into capitulating!

6. Jon Allen says:

The cafepress has been removed already :

Tubemap Store
    ___________________________________

Closed by TFL after less than a day’s trading.

Thanks, guys.

7. Dino says:

Hey Geoff,

Great site, I’ll be ripping off your 50p iPodness very soon in the cunning guise of “Send me a Quarter”…

Anyway, as an expat Brit based here in the US, I’m shocked by the response of your ISP to all this.

Let me know if you’re looking for an alternative host, as I have my own server and a bunch of GB going spare. You can hide across the pond on a private server for free, if you like!

Cheers,
    Dino

8. Charles says:

I’m a volunteer ambulance officer and my wife is a doctor volunteering as a Medical Incident Officer with the statutory ambulance services, including London. I think that some of your maps will prove very useful for both casual enquiries we get from the public when at major events and for planning deployments in an emergency, and I will be putting them in our emergency documentation packs. I have tried getting maps in the past from TFL, to no avail, so the link from The Register mentioning your plight was very opportune.

I hope this silver lining to your current cloud is a small bit of comfort.

Charles

9. Marty says:

Sometimes you really have to question if the PR and lawyers of these companies realise just how stupid action like this makes them look.

10. Marty says:

“Is there any way of telling Tfl how we all feel?”

Yes: https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact_form.shtml