Because Everything Counts

Geoff's DM T-ShirtNumber of times I have now seen Depeche Mode live : 4(November 1990, September 1998, October 2001 and now April 2006)

My estimated average age of the people there: 34

Rough percentage of people wearing black clothes in some shape or form: 65%

The price of an ‘Olive Green’ T-Shirt: �20

If you’re paying by credit card: �21

Number of pages in the glossy, 18 page programme (Cost – �10) that actually had writing in : 2

Number of people I spotted sneakily smoking right by the ‘No Smoking’ signs : 7

Number of annoying, short, fat, bald men standing in front of me that wouldn’t stop jumping up and down all evening: 1

Number of songs out of my ‘Top 5’ DM songs that they did: 3 (No “Freelove” or “It’s no good”)

My Top 5 (Well ok, 6 ...)

Number of songs they did in total : 21

Number of songs that I was able to sing along with : 20 out of the 21

Total number of encores: 2

Number of people waving their arms left to right in the new Wembley Arena as they encored with “Never Let Me Down” : Appx. 12,000

Number of goosepimples up my arms as they did a kick-arse version of “Everything Counts” : Too many. In large amounts.

46 responses to “Because Everything Counts”

Is this ‘Number of…’ an American thing? 😛

2. Neil says:

I read this morning that the capacity of the Wembley Arena is 10,000.

Yeah, but i’ve only eight fingers and two thumbs, carry the one, did i already include that girl in the purple hat? that sort of thing – and it was dark. it’s hard to keep track, y’know?

4. Tugs says:

Any chance you could put up the set list? Just interested, of course. I’m not a closet DM fan. Honest!

5. The Divine Mrs M says:

#3 That’s not how they teach maths (or should I say “math”) these days you know. None of that “carry the one” malarkey. Makes it bloody difficult to help the kids with their homework..:(

Ooh, I’m off to the new arena at the end of the month (Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds, and only found out it was new last night!
    Pleased the mode were good 🙂

Tugs, no problem! But all i’ve done is stolen it from: http://www.depechemode.com/tour/setlist.html

Setlist #8

A Pain That I’m Used To, John The Revelator, A Question Of Time, Policy Of Truth, Precious (Which was a not-very-good acoustic version), Walking In My Shoes, Suffer Well, Macro (Which was the one I didn’t know), Home, I Want It All, The Sinner In Me, I Feel You, Behind The Wheel (Top tune!), World In My Eyes, Personal Jesus (Stunning), Enjoy The Silence (Even more stunning), [encore] Leave In Silence, Just Can’t Get Enough, Everything Counts (Goosepimples), [encore #2] Never Let Me Down Again (’nuff said), Goodnight Lovers (Beautiful)

#6 Fimb! I’m going to the Albert Hall show! Unfortunately too slow / couldn’t afford to be seated but managed to get standing tickets in the Gallery. It promises to be faaaaaaantastic!

i think im right in saying that there isnt a way in itunes to have a smart playlist of the top playing songs of the past week…right?

I don’t have iTunes in front of me now to double check Mikey, but you CAN – yes. Each track has a “last played” field, so you just add together your five star rated songs, plus anything played in the last 7 days.

I’ve got two cool smart playlists like this, one which is “Recently Added Favourites”, which is anything added in the last four weeks, and has three stars or more, and…

“Recently Played Favourites”, which is anything at all that I’ve played in the last two weeks and also has three stars or more – works a treat.

As i’ve said time and time before here, smart playlists are THE BUSINESS in iTunes, and if you love your music, it’s worth sitting down, rating all yours songs, definining genres properly and making some smart playlists based upon them.

11. Richard says:

Geoff – is the new Arena an improvement on the old one (which I always thought was a complete dump)?

12. Rob(Geoff's brother-in-law) says:

Depeche Mode….superb! My claim to fame? – I saw them play IN A PUB in 1982!…It was The Bridge House in Canning Town East London. It was a “thank you” gig at the pub, the night before a tour-date at The Hammersmith Odeon(as it then was). I also saw Modern Romance(remember them?) play at the same boozer……funny, but I don’t mention that one as often!

sorry, i phrased it wrong. i meant highest playcounts in the last week…ie, a song has a playcount of 50, but in the last week i have played it 20 times. There is probably some script for mac itunes…but sadly i use windows for itunes

ah, ok .. i’ll give you that. you can’t script on Win iTunes as far as I know. i don’t know how do to that.

i have put some screenshots up though of my Smart Playlists at: http://www.geofftech.co.uk/obsessions/ipod/ipod_itunes.htm

Wembley Arena smells all new and clean, yes! And at least it opened on time. Unlike some other parts of Wembley …

heh, nice page. lets see *checks iTunes*…
    out of 1987 songs/videos i have 17 with 5 stars, almost as strict as u geoff

page not finished yet though, i’ll keep hacking away at it and update it soon. honest.

17. Based on the numbers in that page, and the depeche mode list above, it appears that nearly a third of your 5* songs are by depeche mode. Is that correct?

18. Alison says:

I was there too and it was a fantastic gig, haven’t seen DM since 1988 and thy’re still as good as ever. But I’m puzzled by the set list – I was convinced they did a great acoustic version of Shake the Disease. Did I dream that??

#17 – Er, it would appear so! Would you just list a list of all my 5-star songs? And by that, I don’t mean songs by that popular 80’s-beat-combo, Five Star.

#18 – Which night did you go on Alison? They might have done different setlists on the Sunday and Monday nights. i.e they could have done Setlist 5 one night, and Setlist 8 on the other.

Have a look here: http://www.depechemode.com/tour/setlist.html

am very annoyed, my ipod turned itself on and started playing music during the nite…seriously, i turned it off and locked it last nite, and i wake up and its sat there playing a random playlist!! How can i reset it so the playcounts dont get recorded in itunes???

Mikey – wierd, my husbands IPod has taken to doing that.. and also randomly pausing in the middle of songs, even when it is locked

Have formatted my iPod, and am now doing a massive sort on iTunes to get everything nice and pretty…only 16hours of music left to rate, and about 300tracks to import pics for. Then i might make some more playlists. and of course the mammoth task of loading it all back onto the iPod, which will take forever!!

23. Geoff's Cousin says:

#21 – random pausing. Dodgy headphone connector?

24. Paul Webb says:

I recently had the tape from a D60 cassette get caught in one of the spindles of my Walkman. Loads of the tape got chewed in the mechanism. Is there a software fix for this? I’m really desparate, ‘cos just after making the tape I dropped the wax cylinder with the original recording and Our Gracie don’t sound quite the same anymore.

#24 – Whoa…i just jumped back in time 😛

26. On my iPod (3rd gen 20G) ‘Recently Played’ does not really play all recent songs. It skips a few, or will just REFUSE to recognize that certain songs were just played.–and that is annoying. But then maybe that is because I still do not RATE songs, as someone I know once DEMANDED I do. 😉

20&21– I wonder if you have the alarm or timer inadvertantly set on. Apple’s forums are a great place to get instant answers to any issues.

I would love to see DM– ‘StrangeLove’ might be my all time fave!

Has anyone besides me heard that ‘New Order’ has made a big comeback amongst the younger set? Not sure whether it is their old stuff the kiddies are listening to (realizing that there are probably some kiddies posting here) or if they have something new out.

OMG…What a fool…the alarm, of course!! I only ever used the thing for the first time the other week, and ‘coincidentally’ have been wondering why my iPod was running out of battery so quickly in the past couple fo weeks. Thanks Kris!!

Am finding the sorting my library so dull, as its doubled in size since i last did it, and its just such a labour

kris – nope, we checked that, and it happens with different sites of head phones (well, headphones and tape adapters for the car).
    And its all very random!

I need to re-rate everything too, as ITunes has taken to losing the database every few weeks. It doesn’t seem overly happy with the networkable hard drive where all the music is stored.

#28 – please say you don’t lose your playcounts as well, i’d be lost if my playcounts were deleted

And suddenly Geoff’s blog turns into an iPod fix-it session, I love it!

Ok. Have just been thru my itunes. Merely 48 of them out of the 3578 tunes on there have got the accolade of ***** !

There are actually two out of the 48 here that I would like to give a sixth ‘bonus’ star too if I could, but I can’t.

Anyway – screenshot here, if you’re really wanna see it.

we don’t share any 5 stars 🙁 , but each to their own.

32. You know you’re supposed to give 5 stars to the good songs, don’t you? 🙂 But whatever works for you!

33. Kathleen says:

I must admit that, as a 22 year old female, I had never heard of Depeche Mode until a friend of mine was singing one of their songs. Something about her own personal Jesus, which was strange because she was Jewish. Recently I attended a David Gray concert where a short, fat, annoying drunk woman wouldn’t shut up. But, I suppose thats what I get for living in America.

i felt quilty earlier when i gave a Depeche Mode song 2*….sorry Geoff

35. Kathleen. You must have been quite far back. The annoying short one *was* david gray.

36. Tugs says:

Geoff – seriously, Roxette??!! I’m shocked. Each to their own, I know, but that’s stretching it a bit! 😉

37. CV says:

Is it just me, or does that Gnarls Barkley tune sound just like Moby? Just got a 25 iTunes voucher for my birthday so may make my first paid-for, encrypted download…

Yup, playcounts lost each time. I must admit I am starting to lose patience with it. Hardly uploading anything to it these days.
    Plus, my car stereo is screwed, and only plays tapes out of one speaker 90% of the time, so I don’t use my Ipod anywhere near as much as I was.

#31, #32, #36 – Oh dear, do we need to have the “No music is shit, everyone has their own reasons for liking what songs they like” conversation again?.

An indivuduals own musical tastes never hurt anybody. Like what you like because it works for you and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise.

I get really bored of stressing this point sometimes because it’s so fucking obvious.

40. Rob(Geoff's brother-in-law) says:

#39 Stop swearing Geoff! Adam(Geoff’s nephew) could be reading this!

#39 *applauds* Well said Geoff.

As a responsible (*cough*) parent Rob, i’m sure you’re monitoring your sons internet usage.

(And thanks Fimb!)

43. 40. Yes Geoff… please watch your fucking language.

44. bad amateurs says:

The community should provide adequate programs to help juvenile delinquents

45. Ahrain says:

You have so much gluks in here….in here.. (