A quick plug

I really hate it when there’s so much going on sometimes, that you want to blog everything, but then realise that a lot of it is largely irrelevant, and so you end up doing nothing.

Or – do as I did, is to put a post up, and then a few hours later take it down again. And then you get yourself worked up into a state where you think “Fuck! I haven’t put anything for almost a week!”, and then you feel as if you should be putting something, almost for the sake of doing so – rather than doing the sensible thing and only putting something when you have something pertinent to expand upon.

So I am packing. Packing and getting ready to ship up and move out. Which is why I’m damn busy. And I won’t bore you with that cliche of “You never realise how much crap you’ve collated until you come to move…”, except that it is – of course – very true, as I’m now on first name terms with the friendly chap at my local rubbish tip – sorry, Civic Amenity Site, that should be.

Quote of the week goes to my friend Miles who the other night came out with – “Have you done a test pack yet? To make sure you can fit everything into your bags?”. i.e. When it comes to the crunch of leaving, I don’t want to find out on the night before or morning of my flight that I can’t put everything into my bags that I want to and have a last minute panic. Especially with US airways stingy limit of just 23Kb per bag. So I might do a dry run at somepoint today.

So … in the spirit of sort of doing a listy thing, and just because it’s a re-hash of what I wrote the other day and it does seem a waste not to use it, I thought I’d just do the one (and ONE only) post that is slightly poignant. I promise not to do it again. (Until maybe I get there).

Things that I will miss …

Going into work at the BBC, and bumping into famous guests leaving the recording of TV shows. I held the door open last Thursday evening for this guy walking through – and it turned out to be Tom Jones on his way out from Jonathan Ross. I liked that.

The Tube. Well it’s part of London, innit? And there’s a Zone 1 challenge taking part in a couple of weeks time if you’re interested – I won’t be there though. I’ll be 4,000 miles away.

EggsCadburys Creme Eggs. Well – the ones that come in blue wrappers anyway.

UK Radio and TV. Chris Moyles. 6 Music. The UK Top 40 – How the hell am I going to do my Review of the Year without actually knowing what tunes are about?

The rest of the new series of Doctor Who. Strangely disappointing so far in the first two episodes I feel actually, but am confident that it’s going to pick up as it goes along.

My doctor who I saw the other day. And who I think deserves being paid 250,000 (If he is one of the ones that does make that much money). I get very emotional over anyone who does the wonderful job of curing the pain of a fellow human being, and he was dead nice to me. But why are we so secretive over our salaries though?

Things that I won’t miss …

Doing nightshifts at the BBC. I’m starting to get tired – literally very tired of them now. Only two more to go now, thankfully.

The Tube. Well I’m still narked with them over the mashing scandal, aren’t I?

Cadburys Creme Eggs – because Leigh sent me a piccy of the one that they have there – the novely factor being that they come in GREEN coloured wrappers. Neat!

I won’t of course have to miss any UK radio at all, including Radio 1 or 6 Music, thanks to the joys of Sirius Satellite Radio, the Listen Again feature, and of course Podcasts. How the hell did we ever get by without the internet?

Thanks to the joys of uTorrent, it would appear that I will be fine on the Doctor Who front. Phew!

The nurse at my doctors surgery who told me that I had “Some of the easiest veins to access that she’d ever seen”. (I was giving a blood sample). Thanks for that – all this did was just remind me that my arms are dead skinny.

So there. Just a random list of the top of my head.

Which can all be trumped anyway, by the marvellous discovery of this webpage here, which I discovered when geeking about trying to work out which of my applicances will and won’t work stateside.

I never knew Israel was so unique.

Anyway. Back to packing … Does anyone want a beanbag or my IKEA lamp?

43 responses to “A quick plug”

1. James (510) says:

Aren’t those Torrent thingys illegal?

2. Tower Block Tina says:

I bag the bean-bag please, Ta.

3. As one who has moved quite a bit I offer these real-life observations from a good friend of mine (now deceased):

“You always know who your real friends are on moving day.” –Janie Gray

“Moving is a lonely, lonely business” –also, Janie Gray

I noticed when it came time for me to move, friends scattered in all directions. This includes my sister. The real friend who stuck through all the crap is someone I’ll never hesitate to help when they call on me. Even if they don’t want to help with the heavy physical stuff, just having someone around to keep you company can do wonders for your spirit. If I could help you, I would!

4. J-Ro says:

I’d like your lamp please. My carpet fitters smashed mine last week and didn’t tell me. I only found out when I picked up a bag of scraps and the glass inside slashed the bag, spilling the contents all down the hall :o(

I did sit in last night (Sunday), by myself, in my half empty flat with nowhere to go, and no one to see. And I’ve sold my car now, so I couldn’t even drive anywhere. It was a bit depressing to be honest.

Miles (or was it his wife?) also came out with another quote (because I was winging about how much I had to do, and I was doing it all by myself).

“If you want to get something done – ask a busy person”. ie. the busier someone is, the more likely they’re a “doer” that will want to help. I liked that.

Oh, and the lamp is yours Janet! (Sorry Chris, too slow on the uptake!).

Now why didn’t I just list everything I wanted to get rid off here on my blog in the first place? Dammit…

Ok. Does anyone want some (decent) speakers & amplifier. You’ll have to collect.

7. 23 Kilobytes per bag? Where are you going to put your ipod?

You’re going to miss Chris Moyles. The only way I can understand that concept is in the sentence “I threw something, but I missed Chris Moyles”.

If you get a voltage transformer thing, you can take any electrical appliance you’re particularly fond of. My CD players are imported American units, for example.

#7 – LOL! I’m not even going to correct that. That’s quite funny.

“I’m sorry sir, you appear to be over your data limit. That’ll teach you for going with AOL Broadband, won’t it”?

(23Kg, obviously)

Freecycle stuff you can’t get rid of here.. its fab!

Awww. is it getting that close to you leaving now?

” When it comes to the crunch”.

The Crunch? How dare you speak to me of the Crunch?! You know NOTHING of the Crunch!

I’d love the speakers but I don’t drive … dam it!

Have you got a job sorted then? When do you actually get wed?

12. Julia says:

This morning I found Cadbury’s Creme Egg Bars in Sainsbury’s! How brilliant is that – much easier for posting and surely a year round product – so let me know when you start to crave and I will airmail them to you pronto!

13. Miles says:

Oooh – I made the cut … and in the comments as well as the main post. That is exciting! You see I knew you’d come to recognise the benefits of a test pack!

Now even though you will miss the tube, think how fortunate you are to have sold your car so that you can use the tube so much more for the next week!

Plugs#16 – Now is that just a plug for your website, or is that just a plug for your website Miles? Honestly, the post is about plugs, not meant to a forum for plugging yourself… 😉

I do get to use the tube tonight and tomorrow for work, yes. Oh joy. But I’m borrowing a friends car later on the week to help me out for the last few days.

#15 – Julia, I’ve had TWO of them already, yes! i keep meaning to take a photo, but i forget!

#14 – Wedding is next year, Paul.

#11 – Fimb, British Heart Foundation are also quite keen on collecting stuff for free, and it’s for a good cause too. I’ll probably use them.

15. IIRC Creme eggs are only available from December-Julyish (and they get manky from June onwards. Most definitely seasonal: it is the highlight of Christmas to see the first Creme Egg). That’s not what I was going to say.

I was going to say that I’ve got fantastic veins for blood taking too. I don’t think it’s got much to do with the skinniness of my arms. They’re not particularly skinny. We are privileged people, and will never have enormous bruises from the process.

Safe journey
    ~x~

16. Skarlett says:

Geoff continues to make me look like a slacker on the trans-ocean moving schemes.

When do you arrive in the U.S.? Are you straight to the new home state, or will you travel about and see the U.S. a bit?

I second the comment about a voltage adaptor-with one of those you can use any of your brit plug products.

I’m planning a party as my give-a-way before the move-then the rest is off to the charity shop.

#19 – “Soon” 🙂

18. The Divine Mrs M says:

Speakers? Can’t believe Miles didn’t snaffle them already…

🙂

19. Ray says:

How will it work with all the permanent resident visa stuff over there? The US seem very tight about who they let in!

#21 – Well if you want to come and get them, you know where I live .. (and the fastest way to get there).

I’m up for taking ownership of some of your stuff if you have any left, Geoff. Depending, of course, on what it is!

#24 … me too!

Do we actually get an invite to the wedding?

23. Chris says:

Thirded.

I’ll gladly give anything a home!

24. Coco J. says:

In the States, it’s traditional to have a “groom’s cake”. This is a second cake (to go along with the towering wedding cake). It usually has a theme related to the groom’s interests and I have no idea what the point of it is other than to provide a second yummy cake to eat. You could do a tube train cake(!), an iPod or if you had to, a Cadbury Creme Egg cake (sugar overdose).

#24, #25, #26 – yes, but are you all prepared to COME AND GET IT off of me. in person. i suspect not! right?

#27 – iCake! I like it…

26. Chris says:

Gladly.

What’s on offer?

27. Chris says:

Anthony and I have come to the conclusion that we should invite ourselves over and have a game of Supermarket Sweep with all your remaning posessions..

LOL! That was so quick! Legendary!

Well I am on nightshifts. Alone. And it’s quiet.

I shouldn’t say that, my boss will be reading this in the morning. Better go and do some work … !

30. Philip Ling says:

If you’re going to miss Chris Moyles, you can still get them on Sirius Satellite Radio. The price depends on the package you want, but it’s around $12.00 a month and includes BBC Radio 1. That channel is also timeshifted, so depending on where in the United States you are going to be living in, you could be listening to Moyles at 07:00am like usual! Radio 6 can be a bit more difficult — but it’s on the internet.

And, there’s also BBC America with shows that you’ve probably seen before; and BBC World Services offers BBC World for 24hr news service (which I don’t think is available in the US, but is in Canada.)

Well, hope that helped! Talk to you soon!

Best wishes,
    …Phil

31. The Divine Mrs M says:

#31 – I used to work on that show…pure class 😛

32. Ross+Shaz says:

Is the bean bag in question the one that you inherited when we left to come back to NZ?

33. Tower Block Tina says:

Not sure about bean bag now, does anybody else want it? I believe it’s more of a cube.

34. 27. Never heard of a groom’s cake as a U.S. tradition. Is it something new? Well then Geoff’s should be in the shape of an iPod I think.

34. BBC America has some basic shows… but to be honest it wasn’t nearly as ‘lively’ as the ‘real’ BBC I saw while visiting England last year!

37. Geoff should hang on to the bean bag chair. They’re great for kids, who I assume should be coming along quite shortly after the wedding. 😉

#38.37 – How to give Geoff a heart attack

36. philippa says:

shot gun bean bag! dammit, beaten by about 39 other people…

37. Chris says:

Hmm – Geoff, don’t forget that most UK radio stations no longer stream over the net to non-uk registered IP addresses because they would have to pay considerably more to the licensing/rights people to play the songs.

Came into effect on 01/03/06 from memory.

#41 The News website certainly makes non-UK residents pay for the realmedia video stream – well, for the high bandwidth version anyway. It’s onlt $5 a month or something though, so i probably will do it.

Guess I get to find out when I’m there! As long as I can get adose of Moyles on R1 frequently, i’ll be happy. But i will of course be checkin’ out all the local stations too (and blogging all about them!)

39. Dean says:

An IP blocker for anonymous surfing souch as anonymizer tends to do the trick.