Adjust in the nick of time

Enter KeySo I went to Moe’s Crosstown Tavern in the end then, and no it’s nothing like the one in the Simpsons. But I did get a brief introduction to baseball, as the Yankees were playing the Red Sox – two major teams with a big rivalry apparantly.

But thanks to Dan for 1) Going with me, and 2) Asking me such a simple question with produces a list of such simple answers, namely “So what do you miss then Geoff?”.

Some incredibly simple things that I miss:

• A4 paper. (“Letter” size, anyone? Que?), and matching sized envelopes.
  • Pritt Stick – I have some ‘Elmers’ Extra Strength glue stick instead, I’m sure it’s just not the same. The Pritt website claims that “Is now available in North America”, but I’ve yet to see it.
  • Sellotape – and I know Scotch tape is the same, right? but somehow without that reassuring logo on the packet, I just feel that everything I tape up is going to fall apart.
  • Enter KeyMy UK keyboard, oh how I miss thee. Having to press ALT-9-2 each time I want a ‘ \ ‘ character, is getting tedious, but I’m prepared to put up with it, just so that my ‘ ” ‘ character is on Shift-2, and and the ‘ @ ‘ character is on the Shift-next to the enter key.

Oh, and that reminds me – what is it with tiny ‘Enter’ Keys? Because then ‘ \ ‘ key is located ABOVE the enter key on American keyboards, the ‘Enter’ key itself has been reduced in size. I’d like a bigger ‘Enter’ key please. Or does someone from home want to post me a UK layout keyboard?

• Trashy UK tabloid newspapers. And reading them off the internet just isn’t the same. When it’s the soccer footy season, there’s nothing like reading the back pages of a tabloid when you haven’t got time to sink into one of the broadsheets.

My WeightIt’s probably all this stress that has made me lose weight this week, as somewhere in the last seven days I appear to have gone down a pound! Dammit.

Down!Saturday 20th May : 154 pounds / 69.9 Kilograms. (Down from 155 / 70.3 last week)

Someone recommended to me last week making muffins and putting cornstarch inside them – you don’t notice it when you eat it, but it really fattens you up apparantly.

Either that, or it was all the lugging of wood, as I went shopping in the B&Q/Homebase equivalent this week, that being Lowe’s hardware store. Actually, it was comforting that I made four trips in the space of three days, because that’s exactly how I use to operate back home to, so some things are still the same.

That’s after I’d had the fiasco of paying for my goods in the first place – I spent $40, but when the cashier took my credit card, it flashed up with “Additional authorsation needed”, and so 15 minutes and several phonecalls (by her) later to mysterious people on the end of the phone, and the production of my drivers license (which I’ve now learnt makes sense to carry around with me everywhere – something I never did back home), I got to buy the stuff.

I called my credit card company on the way back to ask what it was all about – and my hunch was right. Their computer systems has marked up an irregular shopping pattern of me making purhchases ‘stateside, and it thought my card had been stolen, and so stopped the transaction.

I politely pointed out to them that me changing my address with them a week before was a big clue to the fact that I really was living in America.

But the most amusing thing about Lowe’s though, were the signs they had everywhere.

Ever been to Wales where all the roadsigns are first in Welsh, and then have the English translation written beneath it?

FlooringWell – so large is the mexican population in charleston, or should I say – so large are the amount of mexicans dominating the tradeswork in Charleston, that they see fit to have everything written out in English and Spanish. And the Mexican population in the southern states is causing quite a stir at the moment.

And don’t even get me started on the argument about Rawl plugs again (Even though I’ve learnt how to say it in Spanish now!)

I’ll do Candy Bar of the week tomorrow (Tuesday) instead of today. I’ve been busy … busy adjusting.

Trust me. There’s a lot of adjusting going on.

18 responses to “Adjust in the nick of time”

1. Imabug says:

Yeah, the adjusting never really stops around here. 7 years and I’m still adjusting.

2. Jono says:

I think I can find you a keyboard. Why didn’t you just take one with you?

#2 – becuase i didn’t remember at the time that their \ key is in the ‘wrong’ place!

you know my address .. feel free to mail it! 🙂

4. Chz says:

You can get keyboards with a larger “Enter” key (though I’m not fond of them). It just makes the |\ key smaller.

I have to say that the keyboard difference is one of the quickest things I adapted to. A few weeks, at most. If you remap everything, you’ll never adapt. I’m willing to admit that owning a Commodore 64 in a previous life probably helped, as it had the ‘”‘ and ‘@’ in the UK-ian locations. (No backslash on that thing, iirc)

5. Simon says:

Just change the regional setting for the keyboard to UK… then you just need to remember where the key is 🙂

Whats red and white and goes beeeep beeeep beeeep?

Arsenals open top bus reversing back into the garage *snorts*

7. Letter size. 8.5″x11″. Have you never installed a printer? That’s always the default.

#5 – Simon, er.. that’s the whole point! I have changed the regional settings in windows.

So my @ key (Shift 2) is now ”

My ” key (to the left of Enter) is now a @

And the \ key (above the Enter) is now #

My # key (Shift 3) is now

But nowhere is there a key that is now \

I have to pres ALT-9-2 to get that!!

9. try the key at the top left of the keyboard?

10. Andrew says:

The ‘\’ is between the Z and the left-hand shift key on my keyboard…

11. scottb says:

I don’t see the problem, look: \\\\\\\\\\\…
    I could do that all day if I wanted to, even though it’s in the “wrong” spot.
    UK mapped keyboards had me a bit troubled, but after a couple of weeks it
    wern’t so bad, so I’m sure with a little perseverence you’ll be fine – it’s not
    worth losing weight over. 🙂

12. Amy says:

I can only imagine the amount of ‘adjusting’ you are doing. The other night I dreamt I was living in a new city with no family or friends to be found, it quickly became a nightmare. Of course you have fiance though..

Ah Blighty gotta love it, but you are in the land of cotton now mate !

#9 – Key at the top left give me ‘`’ and ‘’ – not a backslash!

#10 – The \ is indeed between the Z and the left shift – on a UK keyboard, but not on a US keyboard! That’s my whole point…

Adjust\adjust\adjust…

15. Apparently Windows lets you remap a keyboard virtually any way you like (but you might need a hex editor to do it…)

A Google search for “remapping keys windows” (without quotes) may (or may not) lead you to more user-friendly utilities to do the same thing.

Except that there’s still no physical key between the Z and the left-shift which is what I’m used to.

I’m going to be terribly ostentatious and get a UK one shipped out to me …

I could post you a keyboard if you like Geoff? I have something else I want to send to you as well 😉

18. Chz says:

Oh, and I apologise for Barclaycard. It’s my company’s software that would’ve told them to call you. 😉