Oh look! Another difference (yawn)

I know. It’s getting a bit tedious isn’t it. (Or isn’t it?) Yet another day and yet another “Gosh, isn’t life different here?” type of post. Are you getting bored of it yet? Surely there’s only so many differences one can point out and ramble on about aren’t there? I just feel I ought to be doing more interesting things, rather than pointing out what (to some) is the bleeding obvious.

Adjusting is hard. And it happens every day. Every single day there is always a moment whether it’s a small one or a big one where I suddenly feel “Uh huu…”, and the enormity of what I’ve done sinks in once again. But I don’t regret it. At all.

The trouble with the differences though is that once you start picking up on them it’s hard to stop picking up on them because my mind gets into a mode of trying to spot them – and there are loads of them.

Having said all that though, things which once were to me different, now seem quite normal – and it seems strange to think that things I am now (already) used to here, I realise would find strange that I wouldn’t do back home.

Right on RedFor example – turning right on red now seems like a good idea. Why don’t have “Turn left on a red” back home? Makes sense to me now, especially as I go bombing round in the TankMobile enjoying the fact that red doesn’t always mean red.

Getting carded for ID when going into any (not just some) bars also makes sense – why aren’t we more stringent back home with checking the ages of the kids back home? Maybe we wouldn’t have a reputation for having some of the worst youths in the world.

Having places that are all drive thrus are fun. Drive through fast food – fair enough, drive thru ATM’s – Ok, I’m up to speed with that one, but the other day we went to a drive thru dry cleaners. No need to park, no need to get out of the car, saves you time, still gets the job done – fantastic! Makes sense. Why don’t we have them at home?

Two interesting things though which aren’t differences, but just the way that the different states work with their different laws that I picked up on this week are this:

There are no tatoo parlours in the whole of South Carolina. You just don’t get them. If you want to ink your skin up on a permament basis (not that this is something that appeals to me at all) you can’t do it in Charleston (well, legally you can’t …. ) or anywhre in SC. From here you have to nip over the border to Savannah, Georgia if you want to get one done.

It’s also not law here to wear a helmet if you’re riding a motorcycle. It’s most disconcerting to be bombing down the freeway at 70mph, and to then have a biker glide past you with ease (so what the hell speed is he doing?!) – and he’s got no helmet on. Fool.

So we might be at the point – might – where I start getting out of the mode of talking up the differences, and just start talking about general stuff instead. We’ll see. My adjustment mode is still very much : ON. Y’know?

Milky Way USACandy Bar of the Week (See all posts in Candy category)

As a ‘3 musketeers’ from a couple of weeks back reminded me of a Milky Way back home, when I saw an actual Milky Way here, I thought I’d better do one.

“Rich Chocolate, Creamy Caramal, Smooth Nougat” it says there are – and this is enough to make it different. Our Milky Ways are light fluffy, aerated chocolate affairs, but this one just does feel heavier to get down your gullet. I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m just saying it’s not the same.

UK chocolate bar it reminded me most of : Actually more like a Mars Bar than a Milky Way.
Would I eat one again? : Probably, yes. But I’d prefer a 3 Musketeers.
5 bar rating :

20 responses to “Oh look! Another difference (yawn)”

1. Jono says:

Hey, you think you’ve got some adjusting to do. In six weeks, I bet I’ll be able to outdo you…

2. Do you have a 5 Bar Gating for the chocolate too?

Better make the most of those last few weeks whilst you can then mate! Apart from that, I couldn’t possibly comment …. 😉

4. Rob(Geoff's brother-in-law) says:

“Drive-Thru’s” Geoff, are one part of American culture that I don’t “wish we had…..”
    in the slightest. Naff, naff, NAFF!

5. JanetLee says:

I think you can get a tattoo in SC now, it was made legal not too long ago. I don’t know if there are any places opend to do it yet. New Orleans had a drive-thru margarita bar. Now that was cool!

6. Helen says:

What is Jono doing in 6 weeks thats bigger than geoffs big move?

7. Kristy says:

Yes, tattoos are legal now. http://www.scdhec.gov/hr/licen/hltattoo.htm
    Amazing that they still were illegal not too long ago.
    Having just moved to Charleston myself, one of the major state to state differences I’m loving is that you can buy beer and wine in the grocery store and convenience stores. Back in Pennsylvania where I used to live, you had to go to a beer distributor and could only buy beer by the case. And the stores closed at 9pm so if you were having a party and ran out of beer at 10pm on a Saturday, you were SOL. Bars sold six packs but finding one that had them was a rarity. And wine was bought from a state-owned liquor store.
    There was also no sales tax on neccessities (i.e. food, clothing, etc) in Pennsylvania. This damn sales tax on everything is killing.

Anyway, welcome to the States and more importantly, welcome to the Lowcountry. 🙂

8. Tattoos legal in South Carolina? I hope oral sex is still illegal there.

9. Neil says:

Drive thrus encourage laziness. No wonder most Americans are fat.

10. Jono says:

Helen, you don’t need to talk about me as if I’m not here.

“Does he take sugar?”

On 9th July, we’re expecting a baby.

There is a drive through dry cleaner on Woodford Avenue (between Gants Hill and Charlie Browns roundabout) 🙂

So, if we visit you, we should get our tat’s while in Savannah then?! *L*

#11 – My god, you’re Brad Pitt aren’t you?!

13. Jono says:

Fimb,

No. And my wife is definitely not Angelina Jolie.

She’s far harder than that.

#9 – Oral sex – illegal. But aural sex is allowed! (I’ll let you figure that one out…)

#14 – I think Fimb could give your wife a run for her money mate.. be careful!

15. 15. Is that listening to other people doing it. Or sticking things in their ear?

16. Lisa says:

Egads! Based on the link provided, our Milky Way isn’t just MORE like your Mars Bar…It is your Mars Bar! And a dirivation of our Snickers was formerly a dirivation of our Mars bar…and you say your Milky Way is our 3 Musketeers. . I say we lodge a revolt against all the marketeers who are hoodwinking us and forcing us to use and divide terms so that one’s English is not necessarily that of another’s! No name alterations without joint representation…I say anyway.

17. Tom Cairns says:

The USA Milky Way is certainly the USA Mars Bar. 🙂

18. Tom Cairns says:

Whoops, I meant the UK Mars Bar!

19. Looks like the Tories have been listening to Geoff.

20. Hello. Nice! Really caouldn\’t agree more REGARDING \”Oh look! Another difference (yawn)\”. I really liked it a lot. Try mars candy bars snickers. Thanks.