It would be so nice

Today is Memorial Day in the USA. Coincidentaly it ties in with the late May Day Bank Holiday back home, so when someone emailed me today saying “Do you have bank holidays too?”, the answer is “No”, but we do have Monday ‘Off’ – Off that is, if you have a regular job I suppose.

It’s always the last Monday in May though, as is the second bank holiday in the UK, and this got me wondering which country got the most public holidays. So in 2006 …

The UK get:

1st & 2nd January (New Year), 14th April (Good Friday), 17th April (Easter Monday), 1st May (May Day), 29th May (Spring Bank Holiday), 28th August (August Bank Holiday), and then Christmas – 25th and 26 December.

Total number : Nine

In the USA:

1st January (New Year), 20th February (Presidents Day/Washington’s Birthday), 29th May (Memorial Day), 4th July (Independence Day, don’t mention the film), 4th September (Labor Day), 9th October (Columbus Day), 11th November (Veterans Day), 23rd November (Thanksgiving), 25th December (Christmas).

Total number : Also nine!

Note that the USA don’t give you Good Friday and Easter Monday off at Easter, nor do they know what Boxing day is. Leigh once asked me, “Why is it called Boxing Day?”. Umm, umm… ahhh.. I don’t know actually. Until I looked here, that is.

Update:

I couldn’t find it earlier, so I emailed him and got the link back. As I later remembered that DG already did something like this here – in which he compares public holidays across ten countries.

Spain gets the most with 15, England and Wales (I miscounted) do indeed only get 8 !

Take 5Candy Bar of the Week (See all posts in Candy category)

And at last we step into the wonderful world of Hershey’s – purveyor of many a chocolate/candy bar, and am sure that this won’t be their only appearance. I had hoped to purchase a Whatchamacallit, but I couldn’t find one in time, so this Take 5 must suffice.

“Take 5 provides a the taste experience of five favorite ingredients in one candy bar.” says the bumph. And indeed it does – Pretzels, Caramel, Peanuts, Peanut Butter and Milk Chocolate all wrapped up into one succulent bar.

I popped mine in the fridge for just 10 minutes, giving it a nice chilled edge – but not to the point where it was too hard and crunchy to eat, and it was nice. You can’t really taste the peanut butter though.

UK chocolate bar it reminded me most of : Like a Lion Bar, but without the nobbly bits.
Would I eat one again? : Probably, yes.
5 bar rating :

13 responses to “It would be so nice”

1. We don’t call it a bank holiday but instead, a “federal’ holiday..also I think you forgot Martin Luther King day. It’s around the 18th of January.

Boxing day… isn’t that when you box things up after Christmas?

Hmm. Interesting. I did find Martin Luther king day when I did my research, but it was NOT listed as “observed” as all the other ones are.

Are you saying you do in fact “win” then by getting 10 public hols a year? Cool.

3. annette says:

In Massachusetts, there’s also Evacuation Day on March 17. This is a Massachusetts only holiday.

“Evacuation Day refers to the date of evacuation of the British military from American cities in the American Revolutionary War. It also refers to the evacuation of French troops from the Middle East after World War II.”

We also have Patriot’s Day in April off. According to Wikidpedia “Patriot’s Day is a civic holiday in the U.S. states of Massachusetts and Maine, and a public school holiday in Wisconsin.”

Pretty sweet if you live in Mass.

4. CentralUser says:

England and Wales have eight days- 2nd January counts only if 1st Jan is a Sat or Sun.

Further info at:

5. Jono says:

The 2nd of January is a Bank holiday in Scotland, but they don’t get Good Friday off instead. Many of the banks in Scotland are starting to follow the English holidays.

6. Lisa says:

I think most non-service related workers do get Easter off and the day after Thanksgiving. I did work this Easter, but as it was a holiday, I was paid double time and a half for doing so. We use to also get Columbus Day off until my corporate office in Tokyo realized that they were paying too many peolple overtime who felt they really needed to work that day….

7. I guess the reason you found that Martin Luther King day wasn’t a proper holiday is you ran your search from a southern state.

#7 – I should surely do a blog post on the values of the confederate flag still being seen down south and nowhere else. That’d lead to a good discussion…

9. Richard says:

I thought there were also public holidays specific to each state?

Early Pink Floyd?

#9 No .. Madonna – think about it!

11. Kristy says:

Hawaii Kris is right, they’re federal holidays because they’re dictated by when the Federal Reserve is closed. That’s the joy of working in banking – you get a holiday off almost EVERY month of the year except March, April, June & August and you get TWO in November. Banks and other governmental services are always closed on MLK Day, so it looks like we win! 🙂

There are certain holidays by state but, as with a lot of federal holidays, companies determine whether they’re going to close. Like I said, I work in banking so we’re closed whenever the Fed is closed. When I worked in retail, we got, at most, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Day and Easter off. The boyfriend works as a mechanic and they’re open pretty much all year with the exception of Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. But really, who wants to bring their car in for service on Memorial Day? 🙂

12. I don’t want to get my car fixed on a bank holiday, but the mere mention of a bank holiday brings it out in a cold sweat, so needs must.

13. Heather says:

We celebrate Boxing Day, solely because it was the only holiday not ‘hosted’ by a family member. So, we just added on to the madness.