365 days later

Remember 7th July1) BBC World (Channel 114 on Comcast) carried the same feed that BBC 1 and News 24 got, so at 6.45am I’d set my alarm to wake up in time and watch it at 7am our time here this morning – and I got to see the coverage and participate in the two minutes silence. That was very emotional.

2) It was just emotional itself seeing shots of London, Natasha Kerplunks! pouty lips on TV for the first time in ages, and various shots all around London.

So I can remember exactly what I was doing this time last year.

I was getting ready in the morning to head into London on the train to go to the ExCeL centre where BBC News on Tour was taking place.

I’d been upstairs in the bathroom, and had left the TV on downstairs. I came down, grabbed my bag, picked up my keys, and went to switch the TV off to realise that BBC1 was carrying News 24 – and in that microsecond you knew that something big had happened for that to be the case.

I perched down on the edge of my coffee table in the lounge, and was still there two grisly hours later – bag still in one hand, keys in the other where I hadn’t moved, watching it all and taking it all in.

So why noy take a moment today if you can to think about what happened, appreciate the fact that as you’re reading this you’re alive and well, and that there are bigger things in life sometimes that can make any small problem or argument that you may be having right now insignificant.

Then … go and resolve that problem, apologise to the friend you’re having an argument with, have a bloody good day, and be thankful you’re alive.

14 responses to “365 days later”

Hear, hear.

I can remember what I was doing – having a lie in, when I was woken by a text from my mum telling me to turn the TV on.

The footage of the two-minute silence today was very powerful.

2. David says:

I found out from a friend calling me from Spain.

3. Bob Hannent says:

I stopped the examination awards board I was in and we all stood in silence. It was surreal to be the one charged with annoucing it.

I was on my way to work, it only took me 15min to get there. As I was walking out the door the first news was of the unexplained electrical explosion around Kings Cross area, sounded odd to me. I went down to the tube and they said there was disruption. Then when I got out at White City they were closing the station. Got in and started to collect the reports from around London. Messaged my mum (who was planning to visit me with her sister) and told them not to go anywhere near London. Spent the rest of the day virtually locked in my office on and off because of the secure nature of it. Trying to get SNG and OB links out when the phone network was struggling to cope. Luckly our office had many different types of phone connectivity.

The odd one was the week later on the second attempt, one of my engineers was climbing the big satellite dish next to the H&S line. Came in and we told him what had happened, his response was “I thought it had been there a while.”

Our office being an “Internal Shelter Area” made it a congregation point for those people who didn’t fancy sitting in a coridoor during alerts.

4. Peter Miller says:

good words there Geoff. I was flying out to NY that night but that got put back a day. I was talking to Anthony quite a bit online that day, mostly of out shock and sympathy. my thoughts are with others today.

5. Tower Block Tina says:

I was sitting at my desk in Redhill when Geoff’s sister ‘phoned me to see
    if I’d heard from Geoff, as we knoew he used the Tube. Then a few minutes later Geoff ‘phoned me to see if I’d heard, and everyone at work was frantically txting their families to
    see if they were alright. A bad day, no-one I knew was hurt, but I still
    felt for all those families. Like Geoff said today, just be grateful you are here, and if there was anything you hadn’t got round to doing in your life, just do it NOW as you never know. P.S. My text is disappearing under the side-bar again!

6. david scard says:

I remember where I was that day and what I was doing.
    I was at work in the Sky TV transmission centre when we found out what had happened.
    Almost straight away it suddenly came over most of the many screens that surrounded us.
    It was around us all day, literally. The whole 11 hour shift was filled with constant
    news alerts and satellite links from choppers, reporters, other transmitters, etc.
    Including raw material viewers never even saw.
    Tragic. It has effected so many. Some much worse than others.
    But the message London and the world will continue to convey to terrorism is the one on
    a farmiliar badge I specialy got for today, “we are not afraid”.

7. ringing and ringing and ringing my other half to see if he was okay – he travelled through Liverpool St. at the time.

8. Tugs says:

I echo your thoughts Geoff.

Last year I was in the office when the news broke of “power surges” and “tube crashes”.

Then my colleague and I heard the dreadful moment that the bomb went off in Tavistock Square – our office is quite close by. I spent the rest of the day in a bit of a daze and travelled back to Guildford on an empty commuter train, only to be confronted by the local media and a tearful wife.

The same colleague and I went back to Tavistock Square today for the silence at midday and it was as emotional as you’d think. I can normally hold back the tears but I failed today.

At the end as I stood there still reflecting on what had happened, I thought of you Geoff, a champion of the tube but now 1,000’s of miles away. And it was your efforts with Tube Relieft that I recalled the most and your unselfish attitude to a) help us on the day and more importantly b) help those affected by the events of 7/7 in some way.

Cheers,

Tugs

P.S. First time I’ve posted since you’ve been away – I’m glad everything is working out okay for you.

9. tami says:

I was waking up to the news and saw it on the tv. Became so upset, I didnt g to work that day. Fits of tears, rage, distress, etc.

10. Tim says:

It was a bit weird travelling between King’s Cross and Russell Square this morning (as I do every morning going to work) at about 8.55.

I was a bit tense on the train, uncontrollably looking around for anything suspicious just in case, but thankfully nothing happened.

It’s probably morbid to say/think this but I can’t help but wonder if the tunnel is haunted now…

11. Jeff says:

hey do you get abc nbc and over tv channels and stuff?

12. Ciaran Byrne says:

I can remember all too well what I was doing that day mate. You were coming down the Excel Centre to where I was supposed to be. Yet I was caught up at Tavistock Square having decided to go to the gym that morning in Holborn, when I came out they were just evacuating Holborn Tube. They said there was a power surge, so I walked down to Russell Square and stumbled upon the carngage of the bomb that went off on the bus. It was chaos. There were a fair few injured people and I think what must have been a dead body lying in the road. The emergancy services were just on the scene.
    I was actually on some footage of News24 which was being shown in the run up to the commemorations on News 24, didn’t even realise until my girlfriend’s dad told me.

I will never forget that day.. And I doubt the images will ever ever fade.

Yesterday I cried, finally and alot.. Today I remember the positives that came out of it. I made friends because of those bastards.. and making friends is always a good thing

14. Philippa says:

i was having a lecture when i got a text from a friend down the road from russell square. we excused ourselves and put the tv on and the first ‘we dont know what’s happening but there’s something big’ messages were coming on.. it was awful watching it unfold from a tv screen knowing that friends and family had been travelling through those stations. i went to london on the memorial day (not for that particular reason) and it was cheering to see the resilience people have shown and the way that london has drawn together.