Advantages …

Geoff with big lensFrom posting nine times in seven days I suddenly found myself not posting anything for over a week – and I’ve no idea why! So five quick posts – one a day all this week – guaranteed. Honest.

So today’s post is snappily entitled:

“Advantages of being engaged to a professional photographer (Part One)”

The best reason: You get to play with all her cool camera toys! Here’s me with Leighs new lens that she’s bought – Nikon’s 70-200mm f2.8G AF-S VR IF-ED. And god is it good!

It’s about three times the size of my actual camera and at least twice as heavy, you need both hands to hold it at all times – and it makes you really feel like you know what you’re doing – well at least I looked the part of ‘backup photographer’ anyway on her shoot today.

So we spent the afternoon down at the very posh Kiawah Resort at a snazzy golf club snapping pictures of a quite wealthy family celebrating a birthday, and suddenly I felt like I should have worn better shoes than my old scuffed running sneakers trainers. Ah well.

And as there aren’t that many good photos of me, when I saw this one of myself actually looking quite decent, I thought I’d spoil you all. Don’t get too excited.

15 responses to “Advantages …”

1. Coco J. says:

Damn you’re hot!

2. As you’re engaged to a pro smudger, you’ve got no excuse for spelling Lens wrong. I should imagine the post drought is post world cup blues. It’s a mainly European and South American syndrome.

odd…my blog has suffered the same fate. No posts for over a week. I blame being away from uni

Wow … Geoff has a big one … I’m jealous! ;-P

5. Neil says:

Where’s all that weight you’re supposed to have been putting on?

6. David says:

Was it an slr lens? Also is it as hot as it is over here? Tomorrow it’s going to be 38C (100F) in central london.

7. Tardis Tina says:

It’s OK to be a bit scruffy, think David Bailey, long hair, jeans, moody expression.
    But of course you being English, they might think you are related to Lord Lich, in
    which case you might need some of those posh ‘Church’s shoes!

I would like to point out that I corrected “Lense” to “Lens” within 60 seconds of posting this, so methinks you need to hit ‘F5’ on your browser/RSS reader Ian. Either that, of you’re really sad and reading my blog a little too keenly… and … “Smudger” ?

Don’t mention the weight! Hence no ‘my weight’ post on Saturday – ’cause I went DOWN again. Arse. I’m hoping to have re-gained it by next Saturday.

I am quite tanned though from all the sun, does that count? I gather it’s quite warm there at home at the moment, but it’s been averaging 34 degrees here every day for about the past month now…

9. Smudger: http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/ZSFA.HTM#smudger

You haven’t corrected the alt text on the image. That’s where I saw it, when I hovered over the image to see if I could make your lens even bigger.

10. pixeldiva says:

Nonsense, I have several good photos of you.

Nice lens too 🙂

11. Neil says:

I too have blackmail-worthy pictures of Geoff …

With all this hot weather Neil, we could be doing “Tan Watch” – instead of “Beard watch”

13. Teg says:

I did not realise that you were engaged to Leigh. Can you please fill me in on this story because I’ve looked around your archives but cannot find anything. I am a bit confused as why you are over in Charleston.

14. Jon Allen says:

Hi Geoff, just catching up on your blog today.

For some reason this post reminds of the joke about the Surrogate father :

The Smiths were unable to conceive children, and decided to use a
    surrogate father to start their family. On the day the proxy father was to
    arrive, Mr Smith kissed his wife and said, “I’m off. The man should be
    here soon”.

Half an hour later, just by chance, a door-to-door baby photographer rang
    the doorbell, hoping to make a sale. “Good morning madam. I’ve come
    to……”

Oh, no need to explain. I’ve been expecting you,” Mrs. Smith cut in.

“Really?” the photographer asked. “Well, good! I’ve made a speciality of
    babies.”

“That’s what my husband and I had hoped. Please come in and have a seat.

After a moment she asked, blushing, “Well, where do we start?”

“Leave everything to me. I usually try two in the bathtub, one on the
    couch and perhaps a couple on the bed. Sometimes the living room floor is
    fun too……you can really spread out!”

“Bathtub, living room floor? No wonder it didn’t work for Harry and me.”

“Well, madam, none of us can guarantee a good one every time. But if we
    try several different positions and I shoot from six or seven angles, I’m
    sure you’ll be pleased with the results.”

“My, that’s a lot of …” gasped Mrs. Smith.

“Madam, in my line of work, a man must take his time. I’d love to be in
    and out in five minutes, but you’d be disappointed with that, I’m sure.”

“Don’t I know it,” Mrs. Smith said quietly.

The photographer opened his briefcase and pulled out a portfolio of his
    baby pictures. “This was done on the top of a bus.”

“Oh my god!!” Mrs. Smith exclaimed, tugging at her handkerchief.

“And these twins turned out exceptionally well – when you consider their
    mother was so difficult to work with.”

“She was difficult?” asked Mrs. Smith. “Yes, I’m afraid so. I finally had
    to take her to the park to get the job done right. People were crowding
    around four and five deep, pushing to get a good look.”

“Four and five deep?” asked Mrs. Smith, eyes widened in amazement.

“Yes”, the photographer said. “And for more than three hours, too. The
    mother was constantly squealing and yelling – I could hardly concentrate.
    Then darkness approached and I began to rush my shots. Finally, when the
    squirrels began nibbling on my equipment, I just packed it all in.”

Mrs. Smith leaned forward. “You mean they actually chewed on your
    um…equipment?” “That’s right. Well madam, if you’re ready, I’ll set up
    my tripod so that we can get to work.”

“Tripod??”

“Oh yes, I have to use a tripod to rest my Canon on. It’s much too big for
    me to hold very long. Madam? Madam?…..Good Lord, she’s fainted”!

Jon