Hurricane pains

Ernesto Predicted PathEveryone else in Charleston is blogging about this, so I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon too. Actually, I just want to scare my mum into thinking that I’m about to be blown away …

Hurricane Ernesto is heading our way!

Hurricane Category'sOk, by the time it reaches us late Thursday night/early Friday morning, the predicted speed will be of that it will be classified as a Tropical Storm – with wind speeds somewhere around the 60mph mark.

This means that it’s going to rain – a lot – and Charleston will flood again, and it’s a fair bet that some trees will come down too.

Of course, I say all this but Leigh’s seen it all before. “The direction could change and it might not come our way at all” she tells me. But if it does, then it’s video camera time again! Excellent.

A few days after having a pop at tacky daytime TV commericals, I saw a daytime TV commerical yesterday that totally sucked me in. Sucked me into the point where within seconds I was looking up their website, I was calling the toll-free (free-phone) number, and signing up.

Rise and ShineSo what is it? It’s this … www.riseandshinestudy.com

About twenty years ago I remember my mum taking me to the doctor because I complained that I had ‘weird pains down the back of my legs’ when I tried to sleep at night.

The doctor told me it was just pubescent growing pains, and that they would fade. Twenty years later and they haven’t faded yet, and in the middle of the night, I still regularly wake up with a weird throbbing sensation behind my knees and down the back of my legs. And I either have to get up and walk around or lay down on my back and stretch my hamstrings to make it go away before I can get back to sleep.

So if this is real … if this really is a recognised condition that they can do something about then this could be a bit of a life changing moment. I’d googled all round the internet in years past looking for any sort of information for ‘weird leg pains at night’ like this – but never found anything. People I told about it, looked at me strangely as if I was making it up.

Then suddenly, on a random Monday afternoon with the TV on that I’m not really paying attention to – this pops up, and I’m suddenly very excited about this.

16 responses to “Hurricane pains”

1. Chris says:

Don’t get blown away – I want an excuse to have a holiday next year!

I do like these things whereby you get a benefit from it and you get paid! Just watch out for clinical trials – not such a good idea.

bananas are very good for rls.. one cause is a drop in potassium. I massage in tiger balm.. I remember as a kid my mum running her legs under a cold shower to relieve it. The intense need to move your legs is so strong and wierd!

oh, and google it.. its suprisingly common. Theres tons of resources out there (I have a friend who swears by rubbing the back of a silver spoon over her calves.. it has to be silver apparently!) Alot of “anti-depressent” type medication can cause it, so theres huge amounts of info!

4. Ciaran Byrne says:

Growing pains? Fucking hell, if you grow any more your head will be in a different timezone to your feet for fucks sake you lanky shit house! 🙂
    Anyway, enough of that. This tornado or whatever it is, are we going to see you do a wizard of oz and get blatted by a flying window pane?

2/ Why have i never heard of RLS before? And I rarely eat bananas… maybe that’s where I’ve been going wrong all these years…

4/ I promise to go out with my video camera on Thursday Ciaran and get something gusting in the wind for you, okay?? Just stay with the Geofftech, and all will be good…

6. Ciaran Byrne says:

There was plenty of gusting wind round here on Monday night mate. I had a ruby after several pints of Guinness. Gusting wind is the last thing I need.

7. Hey…totally off topic… but can I make a request? Ciaran Byrne just cracks me up. Can he make a blog of his own??

8. Bob Hannent says:

I recently googled an oddity I have, when I enter bright sunlight I often sneeze. It turns out this is a real neurological syndrome:

There was me thinking I was weird all these years, well I am, but its not an undocumented phenomenon.

9. I just made up a sneezing when you go into bright light syndrome, stuck it on Wikipedia, and now everyone believes it’s a fact.

10. It is a fact Ian… my son Christopher does it. Bright light triggers sneezing. Actually, if you want to encourage a sneeze on…that’s almost there but not quite, just look around for the brightest object in the room. Does the trick every time. Honest.

5/ I have no idea! Its something I’ve suffered from a kid, as did my Mum and Gran – and made alot worse at points in the past by medication.
    Try the banana thing, you never know and it can’t harm. Not too close to bed time though as they are full of energy.

12. Paul Webb says:

Oh great – I thought I just sneezed in bright light, now I find out I have a neurological condition. Any idea who I can sue?

HAHA…all those people thought i was crazy when i looked at lights when i had the need to sneeze, now i can show them!!

#10 I read that somewhere too. Had a cold all week, so have been staring at lights, the sun etc just to make me sneeze and no good …

If you want to STOP yourself from sneezing… i find that quite often if you announce “I’m going to sneeze!”, makes you then NOT sneeze! try it …

16. TowerBlock Tina says:

Have been doing that ‘staring at the light’ thing to make me sneeze for blinking centuries! Saw something on the BBC about it once, when they had a giant plastic nose in the studio. The light triggers the little hairs in the nose to vibrate apparently, and hey presto! you sneeze. It only works if you had wanted to sneeze anyway tho.