Best Before

RibenaI went to the only place in Charleston today that I’ve found so far that sells Ribena. It’s the Nirlip Indian restaurant out on Highway 17. I’d seen it on their shelves many weeks back when I’d been out to dinner there, and knew that I would go back to buy some once my current stocks had run out.

Last week, my stocks run out – so I went down today and bought a 600cl bottle for $6.50 – They’d written over the �1.99 where it had been printed in the UK, and priced it at $5.99 – plus the sales tax which I always forget of course.

I was feeling fine until I got home, got a glass out and poured some .. and noticed that it looked thicker and slightly browner than it should. Then I diluted it, drank some, and it DEFINITELY did not taste the way that it should!

It was only then that I looked at the label. Best Before: May 2004. Oh arse.

So Ribena goes off, kids. Remember that. Who wants to post me some? Please?

20 responses to “Best Before”

1. CentralUser says:

Hi Geoff, Glad to see that you are enjoying yourselve. The problem is, with no liquids on planes we’ll have to send the Ribena by steamer, so it will have time to go off all over again. btw, I’ve got the tee-shirt…. purple with brown edges is not good.

2. David - Lightwater says:

I would be glad to post you some. But I am not sure if I can afford it
    right at the moment Geoff. But I will see what I can do.

This is why they need to make Ribena in powered form. I’ve been saying it for years.

4. Powered form? You mean, like an energy drink?

5. jj says:

come on, Geoff. don’t you know how to use the intarweb? google is your friend.

6. Amy says:

You must go back and complain!

Yeah, I know i can order off the internet .. but it’s such a faf – and probably more expensive. I liked being able to roll up in a car, pop in, buy it off the shelf, pay cash, and go home. If I order on t’interweb, it’ll probably cost me more in postage than the drink itself.

Thinking back, the guy in Nirlip did look suprised when I bought some – I was probably the first person in two years that had ever wanted to buy it. I still can’t work out why an Indian restaurant stocks Ribena anyway.

I reckon he’s having his on. Look at the photo he took. The bottle is quite clearly empty Geoff, a blind man on a galloping horse can see that. Do you reckon we’re that thick?! LOL!

That’s because I emptied the bottle out in frustation when realising it was no good! And then thought “I’m going to blog this”, and took the photo above.

Yes I *know* I should have kept it and taken it back, I know, I know, I know …

10. TowerBlock Tina says:

Yes Ribena goes off very quickly about 3 months max, I always have it hot when I have a sore throat/cold.
    I would post some to you, but the Post Office new charges to the States are astronomical, and what if the
    bottle split en route? Can you imagine the mess! No I think you are going to find some locally. Why not go
    back to the Indian restaurant and ask where he got it from? Tell him it was off too, and demand a free meal!

11. 7. I’m with Amy… take it back and get your money back. Don’t throw $6 away. The store should have seen it was expired.

Hey– I thought you were going to blog about the Aloha box.

12. I meant to say…take back the empty bottle and at least get a store credit.

(I wish WordPress allowed you a way to revise your comments!)

13. Joan says:

I am almost afraid to ask..but what is Ribena?

14. Joan: Ribena is a traditional English shampoo. In the sixties, some people discovered you could drink it to get a mild high. Geoff is one of those addicts.

Joan – It’s a dilutable blackcurrent drink! And it’s delicious. It’s not a soda, more of what you might call a “cordial”

Anyway, it’s here: http://ribena.co.uk/index_flash.html

16. Joan says:

ian – I like that.

geoff – There is some kind of brit store in Mt. Pleasant isn’t there? There used to be. In fact many years ago someone up at the Ladson flea market used to sell British goodies but I haven’t been there for a lng time.

17. Chris says:

I’ll swap some for some Easy-Off Bam!

#19 – i WILL get round to doing that at somepoint, honest!

19. Sorry, Geoff, not planning to be in your neck of the woods for a while, otherwise you know I would 🙂