Knuckle (count) down

Leigh had never heard of this the other day when I tried it on her, and I just wondered if it was a British thing, or just a Geoff thing. Or maybe there are loads of you out there who know this method.

Can’t remember if there are 30 or 31 days in a month? Here’s what you do: Hold up your knuckles and press them together. Going left to right (starting with your little finger on your left hand) you ‘count’ across the rise and fall that the pattern that your hand makes.

i.e. January is a bump, so is ‘high’ and thus = 31. Feburary is the exception as it’s obviously 28 or 29. March you’re onto your ring finger with a bump/high and so it’s 31 again. The gap inbetween your ring finger and middle finger is a ‘dip’ representing april and this is 30 days, and so on.

The cool part is that it works for July and August which is where you switch from your left to right hand, both which are ‘high’ knuckle bumps and both have 31 days in. Cool huh?

Anyone else got any ways of recalling anything similar?

29 responses to “Knuckle (count) down”

Jason Donovan is alive again, woo! LOL

2. Bob Hannent says:

I always had a problem with remembering left from right, until I was shown that my left hand makes an L-shape with your index finger and thumb!

Also a trick I found for myself, because I have trouble with mental arithmetic was to practice adding all the digits up on the digital clock and keep adding up the digits until you only have one single digit left. Do this whenever you see a clock and your adding will become agile.

3. Bob Hannent says:

Oh and I’ve never seen this hand thingy. Its just you.

My wife still does that now Bob when giving directions! LOL

5. TowerBlock Tina says:

I used to write ‘L’ and ‘R’ on your little wellies, that was a clue!

6. You sing.., sing a song…

“Thirty days has September, April June and November… all the rest have thirty one… except February with 28.”

Now, I know there must be a rhyme for the last bit, I just can’t recall it.

7. jj says:

“…until leap year gives it 29.”

8. It’s not just you Geoff. I’ve seen it before.

Kris…
    30 days hath September,
    April, June and November,
    All the rest have 31,
    Except for February alone,
    Which hath 28 days clear,
    And 29 in each leap year.

9. Imabug says:

I learned it long ago in elementary school, so it could be a canadian thing too

Can I do the ‘C&A’ gag? Can I? Can I? Oh go on … (It’s a shop, by the way)

I’m with Ian on the pome.. the knuckle thing has never quite made sense for some reason..

Also, I can only remember the points of a compass by, starting ointing up and moving clockwise.. “Never Eat Shredded Wheat”. Yes, that is very sad..

And.. Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet – the colours of the rainbow!)

12. anon says:

My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming
    Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune

It feels like it’s missing something off the end

13. David - Lightwater says:

I am agree with Ian. hmmm….

14. David - Lightwater says:

Sorry, “I agree with Ian”, not I am agree with Ian. I apologise. I must say I have never seen your method Geoff.

15. Jon Allen says:

I’ve seen that before Geoff. It comes in very useful.

16. mewhoelse says:

There’s another one you can do with the 9x tables…
    spread out the fingers of both hands. bend the finger that represents the number (out of 10) that you want to mutliply by nine. The answer is then given…
    eg 2*9=18 so when you put your 2nd finger down, you get 1 on one side of the finger, and 8 on the other side.
    Of course, this only works up to 10*9!

laughing at the NESW rhyme for the compass points, the Aussie version is Never Eat Soggy Weetbix.

17. Ben says:

For those of you that can’t tell left from right, hold out your hands with palms facing down and thumbs at right angles. Your left hand forms an “L” shape and your right doesn’t……

18. stroppycow says:

The knucle thing is international, I remember my grandmother showing me when i was little.

19. saba says:

I used this method throughout growing up to remember months with 31 days etc.. now with time it seems I “know”! No, its not just you Geoff… some of us have seen and used it before.

20. There was a planetary mnemonic on PM the other week… it ended …”Just Showed Up Naked”. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the first bit.

Richard of York Gave Birth In Venice.

Yes, Geoff, you may do the C&A gag.

21. jj says:

i must say that i like the “Richard of York” mnemonic much better than thr Roy G. Biv crap they fed us here in school….

No one wants to know what the C&A gag is? I’ll do it anyway…

A farmers wife was having trouble telling which was the left, and which was the right when it came to putting her big clumpy farm boots on, so the husband painted “L” and “R” on them for her…

“Thanks!” she said “And is that why my knickers have got a label with C & A in them” ?

I’ll get my coat …

23. tami says:

A different spin on the months
    30 days has Septemeber
    April, June and November
    All the rest have 31
    Except February which has 28
    And leap year makes it 29
    And how do you like my little rhyme.

When I was in police academy we had to konw all the types of deaths and this is how we remembered
    NASH- natural, accidental, suicide, and homicide

cuts APAIL- abrasion, puncture, avulsion, incision and laceration

24. Lisa says:

I have always used only one hand for the months. When I was just yay tall,me Mum taught me and told me to count the last knuckle twice and reverse back.

25. Chucker says:

So tell me one more time..when Churchill made the “V for Victory” sign, he had his thumb pointed OUT but if it is made with the thumb pointed facing him, it’s the same as “flipping the bird?” Or is it the other way around? Or is this just a British urban myth?

26. Ida says:

Now that Pluto has been demoted from planetary status:

My Very Exotic Mistress Just Showed Up Naked.

27. Starkey7 says:

I’ve got a couple of maths ones:

Should you wish to multiply a single-digit number, for example seven, by nine, do the following. Simply hold up both hands, fingers outstretched, and put ninth finger down. Then you’ve got six fingers to the left, and three finger to the right, still stretched out. That means that the answer is sixty-three.

Should you wish to multiply a two-digit number, for example sixty-three, by eleven, do the following. Put the six on the left, the three on the right and put their sum in the middle. Hey presto – 693!
    (Obviously the sum might be over ten. For example, take the number forty-seven. The four goes on the left, the seven goes on the right, and eleven goes in the middle. In this case, just carry a ten over into the hundreds, to give you 517.)

I hope that these are to your edification and delight.

28. Starkey7 says:

Oh poo. I meant “…and put the seventh finger down.” I wish that I could count.

29. Bob says:

My dad taught me this method when I was a kid; I’ve never run across it since (I’m 60) and have wondered whether this was a lost folk “remedy,” my dad being an old Arkansas farm boy. Glad to verify that other people know about it. BTW, the method works just as well on one hand — one just starts back at the original knuckle at “August;” that’s the way I learned it.