Hallo hallo hallo … what’s all this then?

Halloween is big business here in the ‘states. Much bigger than anything I’m used to.

I think we can be guaranteed to have some kids come knocking on the front door tonight asking “Trick or treat?”, to which my reply is going to be “Ooh, thanks for offering, I’ll have a treat please” and put my hand out expecting some sweets [candy]. (I’m kidding. We HAVE got a bowl of candy ready to dish out to people, ok?)

And there are pumpkins everywhere. Happy Halloween cards for sale in the shops. People have decorated thir houses and front gardens with the same vigour that I would expect back home at Christmas time, in general people seem to be in the spirit of things.

Like I say – big business. So everytime I’ve seen a halloween display in a shop over the past week (which is like, the majority of the shops we’ve been into), I’ve felt compelled to snap a photo …

18 responses to “Hallo hallo hallo … what’s all this then?”

1. Brent says:

Ah Halloween – the start of the commercialized holiday seasonv:)

Next up, Christ-giving … The lovely melding of Thanksgiving (which I guess this will be your first, won’t it, Geoff?) and Christmas into a wonderful 2 month holiday that usually leaves most of us “normal” citizens scratching our head thinking, “Isn’t Christmas still 2 months away?”

When do people in the UK start decorating for Christmas, being there’s no Thanksgiving over there?

It’s generally thought odd to decorate here until the week after Thanksgiving (Nov 23rd), but there’s some people that start earlier than that.

I’ve never thought that those people that are “pre-mature” on the festivities may not be from the US … interesting, you’ve brought a whole new perspective on my holiday season, Geoff! 🙂

2. zuzula says:

blimey. i ate some pumpkin soup today. and that’s as halloweeny as it’s got over here!

3. When did Hallowe’en officially lose its apostrophe?

I’m very upset. My Scream mask didn’t turn up in the post, after ordering it from play.com on friday. I’m supposed to be going to party tonight, but am only gonna be able to wear the costume part…am most unhappy

Linus in the Pumpkin Patch#3 – American speeling perhaps? 😛

And spare a thought for poor old Linus sitting out their tonight with nothing but his comfort blanket …

6. I’m with the Geezer. I thought I was the last person alive to use the Hallowe’en apostrophe?

7. Alan Perks says:

#4 – I’m also very upset. As usual, entered into the spirit of things and put a nice carved pumpkin on the garden wall with a candle in it. My kids loved it, and then some w*nker came along and smashed it on the front doorstep. Thank you very much, t*sser! And no jokes about the Smashing Pumpkins, please!

8. Chris says:

I hate Halloween almost as much as I hate Christmas.

Just thought I’d let you know.

Got back from the party at uni. Dirty Sanchez were there, which was something ungodly to my eyes.
    Felt such a fool, loads of people with cool scream masks, and then me with only the cloak. Am very annoyed at Play.com/Royal Mail.

And my heart goes out to No7(Have just discovered my iBook doesnt have a hash key), bastards

10. Chris says:

#9- hit ‘alt’ and ‘3’

You’ll like the result.

11. #9. Macs are always leaving useful things off. Second mouse buttons. # keys. etc.

####

*stirs cauldron*

12. Steve says:

Has “penny for the guy” been totally replaced? I’m wondering if trick or treat had any british history at all

Alan – that “sucks”. No jokes.

#12. Actually, “trick or treating” has all its roots in British history.. In Scotland / Ireland, it was traditional to offer a trick, in return for a treat.. whether you performed a small house keeping type task, or a short song or dance routine.. I have friends who can remember doing this as recently as the 1960’s. I completely forget what they called it, but it far pre-dates any US trick or treating

15. TowerBlockTina says:

Hallowe’en didn’t happen here either, luckily front door locked in Tower Block, keeps the little horrors away! Plenty off stuff in the shops tho, all mixed up with Christmas Decorations. Bah humbug!

16. #14. That’s because Americans don’t have any history or culture.

17. Paul Webb says:

#14…I spoke to a Scotish guy about this recently, and he told me that in his distant childhood he used to of hollow out that most Scottish of vegetables, the neep, carving a face in it and putting a candle in it. He says pumpkins are so much easier to hollow.

18. jj says:

#16 – we have history. it’s just nobody can be bothered to remember it. i seem to recall a similar failing among certain portions of the British culture, hence books such as “The Pocket Book of British Patriotism” and “1066 And All That.” (which is positively brilliant, by the way…)

and as for culture, i appear to have something growing btween my toes. does that count?