Touch me

iTouchSo … dilemma time.

If the new touch had been 32Gb in capacity – I think it would have been a bit of a no-brainer. But 16Gb? Really? My 5th gen video is currently 60Gb, so I’d be losing a huge chunk of capacity that I’m used to. Even with Wi-Fi-Tunes and the ability to discover I’ve missed them playing Paul McCartney in Starbucks. Wooh.

I’m not convinced … yet.

I’ve got 4,000 songs in my iChoons (almost exactly) which would fill up 16Gb nicely. Thus leaving no space for photos, videos and (more importantly) podcasts – most vital for me.

I’d end up shuffling around in iTunes all day only taking half of my music around with me. Right? A pain? Possibly. Just to have a cool new iPod with a browser that you can use on the off-chance that you find an open & free Wi-Fi spot.

And you know that in 12-18 months NAND Flash memory capacities will have increased, and there WILL be a 32Gb model.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Apple have clearly said “We’re not sure which direction to choose – Hard Disk or Flash, so we’re leaving the choice up to you the consumer, leaving us in a little quandary – like me – left to blog about it.

Interesting price comparisons though:

UK

£159 for the 80Gb classic
£229 for the 160Gb classic

£199 for the 8Gb touch
£269 for the 16Gb touch

£129 for the 8Gb nano.

US

£249 for the 80Gb classic, which is £124 – saving of £35
£349 fo the 160Gb classic, which is £174 – a saving of £55

$299 for the 8Gb touch, which is £150 – a saving of £50
$399 for th 16Gb touch, which is £200 – a saving of £69

$199 for the 8Gb nano, which is £99 – a saving of £30

Even with a bit for shipping, does this mean I’m now going to be taking orders for new iPods for everyone … ?

17 responses to “Touch me”

Oh, and I think the new Nano looks a bit silly – proportions are all wrong.

And there was no iPhone announcement for the UK either. Hmm.

And we all knew Geoff would blog this … it does look nice though but I might wait for the iPhone

3. N.O. rthener says:

G!ts at apple have come up with a way to get me two buy two new ipods, one a 16gb touch which isn’t anywhere near big enough but is soooo shiny and wantoneish, and then another one when they bring out one large enough to be practicle for my needs!

4. michael says:

Still RIP OFF Britain I see.

5. Ciaran Byrne says:

Its a fucking walkman with pictures. Get over it.

6. Isaac Hunt says:

You’re right, it’s all about the NAND memory price & the ‘Touch’ iPod.

Like yourself, I’m gonna hold on until they bring out at least a 32Gb model. And I’ll be emailing geofftech.COM about an imported model then 🙂

The Nano will continue to sell to the kids & the laydeez but I think the Classic is already dead in the water, it’s all about the new touchscreen/interface which the Classic doesn’t have & never will. Could fit sh!tloads of stuff on 160Gb tho …

Looking forward to Leopard …

Not for 16Gb, thats for sure..

but, next time you’re in NYC and near B&H.. *laughing*

8. Steven says:

Interesting price comparisons. But if UK customs see ’em coming through and start asking for 17.5% VAT payments (which they’ve done to me before), that’s another £30 to pay for a 160Gb classic, which after insured posting, is starting to get pretty close to the UK price.

Maybe they’ve got the price points about right. I’m pleased to see the new high-capacity classics are cheaper than what the old 5th Gen prices were (before they started selling ’em off cheap).

9. Paul Leonard says:

#5 You just don’t get it do you!

10. Richard says:

Pay £200 to listen to your music in a horrible compressed format? I don’t get it either…

11. DivineMrsM says:

Oh Geoff. Still undecided? It’s flashy but I’m inclined to agree with #5.

Ooh look – I’ve got an opinion on a gadget!! (wink)

12. Dan says:

Clearly you’ve got too much money. But — good news — I can help you with that particular problem!

13. David - Lightwater, UK says:

you better get leigh to get that $100 redute that apple are offering on the iphone!

14. David - Lightwater, UK says:

sorry I meant rebate!

15. The Fly says:

I never thought I’d say this Geoff, but for once I actually like the iPod. Probably because I also now know the work around for removing the protection off iTunes. But I really like the touch, even thought it’s a simple removal of the “phone” aspect. However I have to agree, the clincher for me is the low capacity.

I’ve got an old Archos Multimedia Jukebox 20 doing as well as always, but that’s perpetually full to the brim of it’s 20GB richness. Now flash is the better option, however I’m going to have to go with my instinct and wait till after Christmas to see how prices move or like you say, capacity changes.

Have I gone crazy?

16. Chz says:

Played with the new Classic and Nano yesterday – the new UI is considerably less responsive than the old one. I hope they allow you to turn off the fancy eye-candy on it, or it could be frustrating for any existing iPod owners to use.

Ignoring, of course, the fact that the new Nano is hideously ugly and no-one will want to be seen with one anyways. They’re definitely trying to get you to go for the Touch.