My iPod

I felt like my previous post was a bit lame on the iPod, as it did sound a bit like I was just showing off for the hell of it. I wasn’t, but let’s have a little more substance this time:

iPod Classic SilverWhen you dock it to your PC, the graphic for it in iTunes comes up as a nice shiny silver classic model. With my old 5th gen white iPod and the iPhone you get the respective graphics for that – makes sense. But what I want to know is, if you have a black coloured classic, does it have a different graphic for that! Anyone got one? Because that would me very geekily cool of Apple if they’d somehow programmed in to each unit what colour they were.

Come to think of it – anyone got a coloured Nano? What happens in iTunes when you dock it? Does it have the right colour for your ‘pod?

The capacities of my ‘pods over the years have increased. 20Gb then 40Gb then 60Gb and now 80Gb. I can remember thinking (and saying to someone) when I had the 30Gb that “I couldn’t really see more than 50Gb ever being needed”, because you’d have to have a 100,000 tune music collection to fill that up – and who has got a music collection that big?

Of course, I wasn’t thinking of video back then, or podcasts, or photos, or anything else that you can cram on which does of course make me think now – what else will be stored on your iPod in the future. And that (of course) capacities are going to keep on and keep on increasing and not slow down. Yet. But the curve of capacity has got to ‘top out’ at somepoint hasn’t it … hasn’t it?

I’m please on the new ‘pod that this old bug has now been fixed. It doesn’t always continue to amuse me that when there are firmware updates to fix things, they also seem to break things which worked fine before.

I also felt very sorry for the woman who emailed me over Christmas about the iPod Nano she’d got for her son. (My iPod pages generate at least two emails a week from complete strangers asking about issues with their iPods) She downloaded a whole bunch of videos off of iTunes, only for them not to work on the iPod. It was only when she finally said “Video doesn’t even appear in the menu system!” that I realised that somehow she’d managed to buy in a ‘new’ box one of the older style nanos, that doesn’t actually do video. Oops!

Also … an awesome discover today of a Facebook application called What’s on my iPod. You import your iTunes XML database file into it, and it gives you oodles of stats about your songs, genres, favourites … all that sort of thing and sticks it up on your profile. It’s marvellous.

Anyway. The new classic. It’s rather nice. But expect a blog post in about two years time about it being replaced by a ‘touch’ with an even larger capacity …

13 responses to “My iPod”

1. Jared says:

Yep, Apple programs the colors into the iPods; my first-gen black iPod nano shows up on my MacBook’s desktop colored black. Pretty cool ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Rudi says:

It should be able to differentiate between the different colours, as iTunes (and Mac OS and Windows) use the serial number matrix to determine the make and model of iPod. Granted, I’ve only seen iTunes produce the icons for the following:

– iPod 5th generation (white and black – sprite’s pod and mine)
    – iPhone
    – iPod 2nd generation
    – iPod shuffle (1st and 2nd generations, the 2G one being blue with a blue icon)
    – iPod touch
    – iPod nano (1st and 3rd generations, with proper colours for each – black and blue)

My “old” (2G) black nano shows up as black in iTunes.

That Facebook iPod thing sounds great – but is there a third-party iTunes replacement anywhere? I am sick of iTunes’s terminal slowness.

4. Kirk says:

Yeah, it does colours here too. My Blue Shuffle shows as blue, both my black iPods showed as black, and my touch, well, it’s only black…

The colours appear in the icon on the desktop too.

My 80Gb Black Classic shows as black classic. Will have to try my pink mini (the originals of the minis).

facebook app looks very cool.. I do, now, actually have a facebook account. Refuse to have a profile or any friends though!

Anthony – EphPod is pretty good. I only use it for “recovering song from an iPod though” ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Mark says:

my orange iPod shuffle shows up as orange on my mac mini.

7. Stewart says:

My wife’s green mini shows up green on her desktop.

8. John says:

Being a paranoic sort of guy Geoff, are you aware that in sharing your iPod with those nice people at Whats on my iPod you also agreed to sharing (with them and any other third party friends) without limitation, the following information, to the extent visible on the Facebook Site: your name, your profile picture, your gender, your birthday, your hometown location (city/state/country), your current location (city/state/country), your political view, your activities, your interests, your musical preferences, television shows in which you are interested, movies in which you are interested, books in which you are interested, your favorite quotes, the text of your “About Me” section, your relationship status, your dating interests, your relationship interests, your summer plans, your Facebook user network affiliations, your education history, your work history, your course information, copies of photos in your Facebook Site photo albums, metadata associated with your Facebook Site photo albums (e.g., time of upload, album name, comments on your photos, etc.), the total number of messages sent and/or received by you, the total number of unread messages in your Facebook in-box, the total number of “pokes” you have sent and/or received, the total number of wall posts on your Wallโ„ข, a list of user IDs mapped to your Facebook friends, your social timeline, and events associated with your Facebook profile.

Still awesome, still marvellous?

John,

it’s fair to say that through my blog my name and picture are already well known. most people know by birthday, but even then i don’t have that published in Facebook.

come to think of it, most of the things you have mentioned that are available to publish in Facebook have not be filled in by me. no summer plans, books, quotes or any of that shit are up there. come to think of it, my religious view is set to:

“I’m sacrificing a virgin on the heath tonight if anyone’s interested. Bring devil horns & pitchfork”

so .. what exactly is is that you have against the publishers of the app? and yes, i still think it’s rather neat!

10. Jono says:

I got a new Black 80GB Classic for Christmas, and as everyone else has pointed out you get the right image in iTunes. However, I don’t think that’s the best features.

I’ve now spent hours Googling for album artwork so that my Cover Flow looks as cool as possible.

11. Sam says:

I’ve been wondering a similar thing about the Sony Walkman since I got my beautiful 20Gb violet job last year. Sonic Stage opens on my computer in a shade of violet that matches the colourscheme on my computer perfectly, and I’ve often pondered whether it was that colour because my comp’s set up that way, or if it was because of the Walkman.
    Either way it’s a piece of beautiful accesorisation on my part, as is now having a car that looks blue most of the time but sometimes looks almost the same purple because of its shade and reflective paintjob.

12. Saba says:

My ipod Nano Product (RED) shows up as red as does my sisters pink one show up as pink in itunes when connected… yes Apple is just that geeky to please us all!

13. Love the new Ipod Nano 4 style, but this version seems very flimsy. Anyone else think so ?