The train driver and his mate

A week ago, I took an ultra-quick trip back home to England – literally three days in and out. Why? Was the main question that people asked me when they heard I was there for such a short time – and here is the answer : To do something completely crazy.

I popped all the way over the pond just so that I could take part in a mini-tube challenge, namely the Zone 1 challenge for 2008.

This has been running for the last five years now, there’s a page about it on my site here – and what started out as a joke by my ‘tube buddy’ Neil on an email to me back in March that said “Wouldn’t it be funny if you just turned up …” somehow transpired into me doing exactly that. So I bought a ticket, told almost no one that I was coming, and just turned up on the day of the event to surprise everyone by participating with Neil in the event.

And then obviously it became something that I could make a kick-ass video about – which I’ve done.

This may just yet be the best thing I’ve produced to date. It’s ten minutes long which is a little lengthy, but it’s a lot of fun to watch …

27 responses to “The train driver and his mate”

F5!

Brilliant! Just what I wanted to see! Very good video, Geoff, and the ideal recap of a day in my year’s missed events.

F6?

heh.. thanks mate. we MISSED you. come back next year! I will if you will…

3. Yorkie says:

I’m still thinking of getting around to doing some tubechallenge malarkey, although this seems a bit extreme to me (I can’t run for more than about 10 yards).

I feel really guilty that I have an interest in the activity, but being 170 miles away ‘prevents’ me from being there. It does go without saying though that you are officially insane Geoff, for travelling 4000 miles to spend three hours on and around the tube.

The video is top notch – brilliant filming and editing.

4. rick says:

er…. why are you wearing black socks with your tennis shoes? Is that a British thing? You don’t do that here unless you’re like 80.

5. Starkey says:

Nice video! Looks like I completely escaped being filmed. Joy and I passed you lot at Aldgate I believe, but I don’t think that you saw us.
    Actually the record is 2:43’50”, held by me!

6. Ciaran says:

Geoff, quick word of advice. Invest in some incontinence pants or adult nappies. You can shit where you sit and you won’t have to make as many piss stops.

Thank me later.

7. Mum says:

Well done Geoff & Neil, it felt as though I was there! Not keen on Ciaran’s idea, it’s a bit tacky! Doesn’t he know that you have a secret map of stations with toilets?

8. Mark Garth says:

That looked entertaining if not tiring! Will Neil ever blog again??

yorkie.. kind words, thank you! this took a lot of effort.

there is now a new version (subtle edits/changes) uploaded, most importantly with your record time now in the caption starkey! sorry about that, i was unaware.

10. Ross says:

Bet your feet did not stink as much after that compared to mine the time we attempted the whole thing 🙂

My feet were black! Neil was was enough to being a change of clothes. I had to wear the same sweaty shirt all the way home. (Neil’s place, not charleston!)

12. Paul Leonard says:

Yorkie – three things we have in common theni)I love the the Tube tooii) I can’t run eitheriii) I live in Brum. I could get to London but not too often either! Maybe we should do a “I’m not from London but love the Tube” Challenge anyway!!

13. But what happened *after* you got to Neil’s place? 🙂 You two look so sweet together.

14. flip says:

Yes, I too was wondering if this was your “coming out” video…. Anything you want to tell us?

#13 – We had gay sex all night, obviously. Shall i post the video highlights of that?

Incidentally, I fixed the ‘bug’ where the FLVideo would only play in the /iblog root. it now shows up in comments pages, or direct-linked pages too! yay…

17. David - Lightwater says:

I didn’t realise you know ewan spence. I met him at the All About Symbian pub meet last year. I didn’t realise he was the first organiser.

18. Garion Allen says:

Oh my god…you LOVE the Pet Shop Boys. No wonder why I like them with the amount of times you use their songs on your videos 😉

Sounds (and looks) like you had a fab day. I’m hoping to come next year 🙂

Ewan is the coolest scot i know! but we haven’t spoken for ages… he did indeed orchestrate the first Zone 1 thing back in 2004 though, yes. What can i say? It’s a small world.. where Geeks are concerned.

And yes, the PSB’s rule. 🙂

20. tami says:

I am soooo Jealous!! Vid was great.. I want to do it./…..again!

21. Skarlett says:

Thanks so much for sharing this 🙂
    It’s been ages since I’ve caught up with your blogs and this video has made me miss the tube, and wonderfully distracted me from work all in one.

skatlett – hey!! you’re still alive. nice. glad u liked the vid… 😉

23. Excellent vid. Really liked the detailsy close-ups, and the spacial stereo-sound – really conveys the atmosphere of the underground.
    All-round great style.

24. Kirk says:

What we should do is all race round our local transit systems, so I’ll do the Trams here in Manchester, someone in New York can do their subway, and we’ll see who wins! Or maybe stations per hour 🙂

25. Lia says:

Spoke to Andy “West Ham” Jordon on the tube last night.
    You are meantioned in the introduction of this book.

26. Jon Allen says:

Geoff. You are one crazy guy. That was a cracking video. It’s great to see London tube stations again.

I like Kirk’s suggestion, I’d be on to race round the Tokyo subway system. In fact I just spent all afternoon checking out the new stations on the brand new Fukutoshin line.

27. Stephen K says:

Great video. Sadly it’s a bit too far for me to fly from Australia for the Zone 1 challenge!