Ice Ice Baby

In the field video is a lot harder to edit than the luxury of having a proper ‘studio’ suite to put something together.

So with apologies for the rough feel of the cut, here’s a little four minute adventure of my trip onto the Mendenhall Glacier today. Flirting with the tour guide is not obligatory, but I couldn’t help myself. It was though, absolutely stunning … I hope it comes across.

The joke at the end the tour guide makes is in reference to a moraine. Don’t worry, I didn’t know what one was either until I’d looked it up.

10 responses to “Ice Ice Baby”

1. Moley says:

Cool.

There is never any ice when you need it – and then it all turns up at once!

Did you get told how deep the ice was?

2. Chucker says:

My daughter Amy is a stand-up comic and once, while on a tour, sent me a picture of her standing on an Alaskan glacier.

She said she had to hop off…when she felt it starting to move.

(That was probably the joke part.)

I’ll check and see if it was “your” glacier. Thanks.

The ice is a MILE deep at the top, getting down to ‘just’ a quarter of mile deep at the point that we landed/were walking on it. It was quite quite amazing…

4. David says:

Geoff,
    I’m so glad you did the copter trip. Pity about the weather, but it looks like you had a great time. The blue ice is very cool.

5. ckd says:

…bring a videocamera, claim to be a journalist, and you get to sit in the front with the pilot, i see how it is…

6. Garion Allen says:

Moraine? Omg I learned that in year 10 Geography when I was 14! And you are how old…? LOL! 🙂

Sitting in the front was a bit of a coup, yeah! I like my ‘jam the vidcam between my knees and point it back at me’ shot, to get the bit where i put the headphone thingies on. Nice!

Garion .. i can remember what Tors, Spits, and Longshore Drift is, if that counts? Or maybe i’m SO old that glaciers and moraines didn’t exists when I was in year 10?

8. Ice Ice Baby says:

[…] Original Geofftech – iBlogUSA […]

9. Leigh says:

Coolio. You’re beating me to state 49, kind of jealous. Missed having a b-day CD this year though. 😉

10. Geoff's Mum says:

I think Geoff is a showing us how ‘cool’ he is, you can’t get much cooler than a Glacier, that was awesome, one of those ’50 things to do before I die’. I remember Moraines when I was a school, apparently there was an ice age, and then the Glaciers melted and slipped southwards, carving out the landmass that we have now, (or something). Happy Birthday for next Monday anyway.