My life, on the line (As a line)

Back in 2001, I lived in a crappy hovel of a studio apartment in Surbiton, the only benefit of it being that it was a two minute walk to the train station and the train journey into London took just over twenty minutes, meaning that I could roll out of bed at 9am, shower, dress, be on the 09.20 train and be sat at my desk at work by (just about) 10am – sorted, happy days!

Except that they weren’t happy days -far from it (what you think I’d choose to live in a crappy hovel of a studio apartment where I was so embarassed to be there that I rarely invited people round to come see me?), and after reading an article about how your weight is affected by happiness I think it was around that time that I first made a note of how much I weighed with the vague intention of carrying it on for a short while to see how it fluctuated.

Eight years on, and I still have ‘weight.xls‘ on my desktop, which I’ve (almost) faithfully recorded once a week ever since, going from Stone and Pounds, to Kilograms to just Pounds (since being in the USA) in the process.

And seeing as there’s been a dramatic upturn in the state of my weight in the past few weeks (I’m getting fatter – a sure sign that I’m getting happier) and I am now officially the heaviest I have been since being on this side of the pond. And so thought I would publish up here the complete graph just to put my life on the line for all and sundry.

• I think it’s fair to say that (women especially) a lot of people eat more when they’re sad to cheer themselves up. It’s the reverse for me – being and sad and stressed out makes me lose weight.

• I have a pair of ‘fat pants’. Again – the reverse to most people. Instead of them being a pair of trousers that I would one day love to be able to fit into again (i.e. thin enough), it’s a pair of trousers I’ve kept that I one day be able to hope to wear again without a belt holding them up.

• I’m getting back towards the fattest (and arguable, happiest?) that I’ve ever been been in my life, in August 2005 when we organised Tube Relief. 80.7 Kilograms which is 12 stone, 9 pounds. I’ll let you know if I get there again over the next couple of months …

• My BMI (Body Mass Index) by the way is now up to 21.2calculate yours here.

11 responses to “My life, on the line (As a line)”

1. almost witty says:

First!

You’re such a lightweight! Not fair! My weight has always stayed the same, whether I’m happy or not. More’s the shame.

2. miss parker says:

it took me entirely too long to figure out your x axis. you and your fancy way of writing a date.

3. Mark Garth says:

I’ve been 11.5 stone for the last 15 years and I’m as happy as larry (whoever he was). I’m not sure about fat pants, but best of luck filling them anyaway!

4. Alan Perks says:

BMI, no thanks! I’d rather talk about Spurs, being as they’re exceeding what I expected of them this year, by one point!!

5. jj says:

wait, so you only weigh like 170 lbs?

sheesh.

For goodness sake!

X axis – is Kilograms. Y axis – date in DD/MM/YY format. both i think you’ll find are the proper UK way of doing things! 🙂

and yes JJ, I currently weight 169 lbs, and am *very* excited about hitting the 170 mark again, hopefully in the next week …

When i got to the USA I weighed 164. and over four months, lost 21 lbs and hit a low of 143 – not good! being 6′ 3″ and 143 is NOT a pretty sight!

7. Moley says:

Unless i’ve missed something….

Y axis – is Kilograms.
    X axis – date in DD/MM/YY format.

But all said, it also turns out that my BMI is twice yours!

8. Geoff's Mum says:

Yes, but are you eating properly? You need some healthy food, meat & veg and all that 5 a day sort of thing. Pizzas, burgers and Cola are not the way to go. I shall have to come over again and sort you out, please send ticket asap. 🙂

9. Geoff's Mum says:

P.S. I wish you would do the graph in Stones & Pounds, us oldies can’t cope with Kgs.

Geoff! PLEASE will you make some sort of artwork that I can use for your podcast in iTunes. I’m sorting out my artwork again, and as usual, your podcasts are sitting there with nothing to put on them.

😛

Mikey

omfg…is it just me, or do the smileys change when you scroll the page…mine is happily smiling, then changes to a evil looking smile…its scaring me