Day One

This is a stupid idea.

But it’s going to be an incredibly fun one. Eventually.

After 7 hours of driving today, I was shouting out the naughtiest of swearwords at 10pm this evening to anyone that got in my way as I drove around the tiny town of Brattleboro, Vermont getting more and more frustrated as I looked for the KOA Campground which helpfully (not) describes itself as being on ‘Route 5’. Route 5 which is not in my my TomTom GPS under ‘R’ for Route, ‘5’ for, er.. five, ‘Hwy 5’, or any other combination of words that I could think to type in.

It was late, dark, I’m tired and hungry. I miss human interaction and I have a video to edit from the most fun place that I went to today, but you’ll to wait until tomorrow now to see it. Editing in the field is going to be a chore, I can see … but it’s what I’ve set myself up to do, and so I know I can do it and I have to do it.

Check out the progress map.

I have wiped it clean, and started it fresh, the beginning point being Epping in Maine this morning. So from now on you’ll be able to see my route, the same-name places I stopped at, where I spent the night, and where I filled up with gas along the way.

I’ll be in Boston again (parking sensibly this time) on Wednesday night. Thus – expect a ‘so far’ video to appear by Thursday morning!

Stats so far:

States Completed : 1 ~ Miles Driven : 423 ~ Amount spent on Gas : $95.51 ~ Starbucks Drunk : None! ~

This is going to be a very long, but very rewarding ten weeks.

10 responses to “Day One”

1. Amandeep says:

Your trip needs more Sbux. You could at least drink some nice Green Ginger tea.

When in Boston, you must see if you can go to Harvard Square and eat at Bartley’s Burgers, in addition to all the stuff people might otherwise consider a solid Boston trip (walking the red line, Faneuil Hall, etc.).

Yes, I do intend to make suggestions you almost definitely will not follow for all places I know well.

2. valia k says:

No starbucks? has hell frozen over? at least your supporting local coffee shops 😉

3. Rudi says:

@valia: New England is Dunkin Donuts country, especially outside of the major cities and/ or college towns. In Vermont there may only be one Starbucks location, and it’s well off of Geoff’s route – that’s Vermont for you, they’re not too keen on chain stores.

New Hampshire and the southern New England states will be far more kind to Geoff’s Starbucks addiction. Though if he wants to live the more “local” life, he’ll need to go with Dunkin.

@Geoff: if you want a strong Dunkin coffee, get one of their “Turbo” drinks, as they add a shot of espresso to the normal Dunkin house blend and make it a bit more potent (can you tell I lived in Connecticut for ten years?).

4. MumTina says:

‘Missing Human Interaction’ well you have a large number of people following you in thought and in words, even if you can’t actually speak to any of us. Do you not speak to the locals? I could ‘phone you I suppose.

Valia … NO STARBUCKS! (yet), in fact … this comment is being typed from the ‘Lone Gull’ coffee shop in Gloucester MA. Not a starbucks!!

god i’m good.

maybe that could be my new thing : NO starbucks the entire journey? Hmmm… nah, too Dave Gorman-ish.

@Rudi – lovin’ the twitter style replies! 🙂

6. David - Lightwater says:

Can I just say that putney is not tube station? Are you going on the location of the tube station or the name. Sorry I am a fan as you know geoff but I just had to point that out. Or you are going to somewhere else in Vermount?

7. Raineth says:

To David- Lightwater: “East Putney” is on the District Line, I believe. If Geoff was scouting Hwy 5 in Vermont, “East Putney” should have been there. Goeff, what was the full name of the town with the river powering the paper mill?

How were Red Sox?

8. tami says:

And off we go! I am soo ready for this armchair trip!

Putney/East Putney is good enough for me. If you’re going to be disappointed that some of the names don’t match up EXACTLY, then you might as well stop following now (because are couple of them are more tenuous than that!)

it’s not REALLY about going to same named towns you know… hadn’t you realised that yet? 🙂

10. @geoffyost says:

I love Brattleboro, Geoff! My godparents have their home there and I quite enjoy the visits. Sorry you had a miserable visit… I think I’d like a Vermont home to a KOA campground any day.