5. The Maine Reason for Being Here

Welcome to MaineWhat? Don’t groan at my pun. I’ve spent a cumulative 22 hours in a car recently which is plenty of time to come up with a terrible title for today’s blog post, when you’ve nothing else to think about.

Actually, it took a local to tell me that if you’re from Maine, then your refer to yourself as a “Mainer” which I thought was funny. There have also been several shops which call themselves things like “Mainly Fishing”, and “Mainly Camping”, and so on. They’re funny those Mainers are.

So this is the start. And producing video on the road is going to be a chore I can tell, but I am very very committed.

We start at our first town & state, Epping in Maine. That is after taking a brief diversion at a British store on the way, and then a rather good place to get a cup of coffee …

The Grand View coffee shop story is actually quite bad when you think about it. It opened earlier this year and made the news – only for someone to torch it a few months later. Donald Crabtree (the owner, showing me around the charred remains) says that the police think it was a professional job. i.e. someone who didn’t like what they were doing paid for someone to come out of town and set fire to the place. Donald was asleep on the premises at the time.

They were out of business for a couple of weeks, but have opened up again in the one part of the building that was still standing when I stopped by. Photos and video aren’t allowed inside, but I can assure you that Amy (my “Bare-ista”, geddit?) was very much topless when she served me my coffee.

Production notes: (Mainly for @dominicsayers)
Videoing by yourself is time consuming and laborious. The shot of the car driving along the road, I had to leave the camera running on the tripod, drive off, turn around, drive back again. For the ‘in car’ shots, i’m balancing the camera on the dashboard steadying it with one hand whilst still steering with the other. In the British store I gave my camera to a woman I got chatting to and just told her to ‘point at me’, and then the bit outside the coffee shop … camera was held by Amy!

But it’s not all going to be like that. I’ve got four people signed up to join me for at least a week at a time at various stages – you’ll see who they are as they get on board – and they will of course be roped into operating the video camera for me,

23 responses to “5. The Maine Reason for Being Here”

1. Amandeep says:

do boobies make the coffee better?

it makes putting milk in the coffee easier, for sure

3. Amandeep says:

I like your seemingly Freudian slip of describing those British treats as “exuberant” rather than “exorbitant” in reference to their price. You seemed exuberant.

4. BevMor says:

The two people I know from Maine assure me that they’re actually called Mainiacs. (Maine-iacs?) But that might just be these two people in particular…

5. Steve Berry says:

Great Vids! I envy your fun!

6. tami says:

You need sunglasses for the glare! I loved the first vide !!!!!!

7. Gerard says:

Excellent, best episode yet, you’ve set the standard! Driving and balancing the camera, watching the roads etc explains the number of ‘errrs’ and ‘errms’ then!

Keep up the good work mate, looking forward to the next one already!

8. tami says:

you gave me an idea! Now I want to go to the UK and do something similiar like you are doing for a month. Sort of like your counterpart! What do you think!! I am serious!

9. Scott Rhodes says:

Great start, totally envious of the whole trip and, after seeing the lovely Amy, even more so now 😉 Keep em coming.

10. CKD says:

Love the double meaning of “Take The Long Way Home”.

11. Kirk says:

Excellent start, that was brilliant!

I look forward to seeing more soon!

12. MumTina says:

You are definitely a ‘Maine Man’ now. Good vid, very ‘fly on the wall’ all wobbly. Just like ALL my videos.

13. Rhys says:

And if you’re not from Maine, you call them “Maine-iacs”

And when you arrive in MA, they’re called Massholes

14. Richard says:

Nice video. Can you tell me what the intro and exit music is – it sounds familiar?

15. Rachel says:

YAY the first video! very entertaining, and going through all the extra work to get some set up shots was well worth it.

@tami – Hey! You should DEFINITELY go to England/London and do a similar thing. you realise you could just go to London and ride to the 48 tube stations that I’m doing on this trip! (once i’ve revealed what they all are…)

@richard – the Music! is by Grandaddy. It’s called A.M.180 It’s from 1997 but I (shockingly) didn’t discover it until last year! It is a top fecking tune and a half!

It was on the soundtrack to ‘28 days later‘, and is also used by Charlie Brooker for his TV programme title sequence, which i didn’t realise until i started this and somebody pointed it out to me.

17. tami says:

Saw this on diamond geezer’s blog

that’s not going to stop Geoff. He’s visiting Epping ME today, at the start of a madcap ten-week hurtle around the good old US of A. You may remember Geoff as the former holder of the Guinness World Record for visiting all the stations on the London Underground in the shortest possible time. Five years ago he and his friend Neil visited all 275 stations (including Epping) in 18 hours, 35 minutes and 43 seconds, and earned themselves a cheap-looking certificate for their troubles. Their record lasted only a couple of years before being snatched away, by which time Geoff had moved to America and the opportunity to grab it back had slipped away.

So now Geoff’s trying something similar, and yet completely different, on the other side of the Atlantic. He’s attempting to visit 48 American locations with the same name as an underground station, one in each of the 48 contiguous states. A ridiculous idea, obviously, but one for which I bear considerable responsibility as I suggested it to him in the first place. Sorry Geoff.

His grand tube tour is entitled Underground : USA, and he’s hoping to complete it all by the end of August. He’s driving all umpteen thousand miles in a borrowed automobile, and he’s blogging the entire journey with video, text, progress maps and copious Twitterage. There might even be a film documentary later, you never know. Geoff’s first stop is today in Epping, then second stop Putney, then careering onwards through Plaistow, White City and Watford, to name but a few.

It’s the sort of bonkers thing I’d love to try, if only I could drive and had three months spare and didn’t mind sleeping in motels or endless camping or eating appallingly. But no, I shall have to observe Geoff’s tube journey virtually, as can you if you’d like to follow how his road trip pans out. Facebookers can tag along here, I believe, or else the main webpage is on Geoff’s usual site here. I’m not sure how anyone could ever make Epping, Maine, sound interesting, but I’m sure he’ll manage

18. Michael says:

This is a fantastic start, to what is looking like a well put together video of a very special road trip.
    I will be visiting often to see what and where. 🙂

19. Paul VS says:

Loved the transition to the Supertramp song! You will be telling stories of this trip for the rest of your life.

20. Paul Webb says:

Star-Buck-Naked?

21. Kathryn says:

OMG!!! I used to shop at the British Goods Store all the time when I lived in Portland!!! Freeport is a shopping mecca–home of LL Bean, of course. You mentioned the Vermont-Maine border–it’s called New Hampshire, and may have explained why you were so late getting to your campsite in VT.You missed the Topless Doughnut Shop in Westbrook ME, where locals ask why anyone would want a topless doughnut. Yukyukyuk.

Great video! Keep ’em coming!

Oh, and residents of Maine call themselves Mainers. Wags “from away” sometimes say Mainiacs, but as you saw from the coffee shop owner, Mainers are pretty sedate bunch.

K-9

22. Peter says:

Just a quick note to say “Supertramp – Brilliant!”. And what an apt song for your trip!

23. Chris R says:

Jaffa Cakes and Supertramp. Two of my secret desires. I feel outed.