6. New York I love you, but you’re bringing me down

Kew Gardens… is of course a song by LCD Soundsystem.

It seemed pertinent though, because there came a point yesterday where I just felt like I was fed up of the city, of traffic, of stop-starting at junctions and lights and paying tolls all the time, and all I really wanted to do is just quit the city, and get out into real rural America. But it’s coming .. I know it’s coming, I just have to get the North East corner out of the way first.

Of course, the other to do when you’re driving around downtown Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens cursing at the appalling traffic and extortionate tolls for the bridges and tunnels, is type the search phrase ‘New York’ into your iPod and see what it comes up with. Madonna, U2 and this terrible Pet Shop Boys song are the obvious choices, but LCD less so. In the end though of course, there was only ever going to be one clear winner of musical choice …

I kinda feel like I’m done with New England and the north east corner now, so I’m leaving New Jersey today and am heading west through Pennsylvania and heading over towards ‘the hand‘ of Michigan. Producing video on the road is quite a chore(hey, i’m not complain’ I’m just saying), and I dare say at some point during the trip I’ll make a video about how I make a video and all the equipment that I’m carrying with me to enable me to do this.

I’m sat in a Starbucks right now typing this up – the internet connection in the Days Inn motel broke last night, meaning I’ve had to run across here this morning to get me some bandwidth, so it does take my Starbucks count to 2. I’m also introducing a brand new tally this morning, namely – “How many times I hear The Eagles and ‘Hotel California’ on local radio stations”. This morning I realised that I was hearing it again for the second time in a week, and it reminded me that in one of Bill Bryson’s books (The Lost Continent) he does indeed pick up on the same thing – no matter what genre of radio station you’re listening to, sooner or later you’ll hear the Eagles.

A better ‘stats’ graphic to come, when I get a chance to sit down and design one.

Stats so far:

States Completed : 7 ~ Miles Driven : 723~ Amount spent on Gas : $196.23
Starbucks Drunk : Two ~ ‘Hotel California’ heard : Twice
Roadkill Spotted: Five

16 responses to “6. New York I love you, but you’re bringing me down”

Oh, I forgot to mention. Simon & Garfunkel, “The Only Living Boy in New York”, completely stolen of course as a good ‘soundtrack’ type song to use from one of the best will-they-kiss-or-won’t-they? tension moments in movie history when Zach Braff gets it on with Natalie Portman in ‘Garden State‘.

It gives me goose pimples just thinking about it .. *sigh*

2. […] View original post here:  6. New York I love you, but you’re bringing me down […]

3. Matt says:

Keep it up. Gotta love NY! and Boston’s ok too. I just missed u as I was in NY a few weeks ago.

4. tami says:

Good video, enjoyed the train. Also, can I have your belt!

@tami – if you give me a ride along in the rough neighborhoods of New Orleans (and i can video it), then you can have my belt, yes!! ha.

6. MumTina says:

I enjoyed the virtual train ride too. I am getting a song connection of a different sort though, ‘Moonlight in Vermont’,’New York, New York’ & ‘Massachusetts’.I wonder if there will be more.

7. DivineMrsM says:

Nice video Geoff. Just spent a couple of hours catching up with your journey so far – really enjoyable.

Progress map updated this morning: http://bit.ly/plI7H

9. Kathryn says:

Kathy, I’m lost, I said, ‘though I knew she was sleeping.
    I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why,
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike.
    They’ve all come to look for America….

Great video–Keep ’em coming, but stop promising to limit the train clips Chi-town has great trains, and you need to use them to get around! Think of all the great El and Metra film clips—The Blues Brothers, Scared Straight, Adventures in Babysitting, Risky Business…

10. MumTina says:

Can you eat any of the road-kill?

11. Rudi says:

Another Simon connection: “American Tune”:

“For we come on a ship they call the Mayflower
    We come on a ship that sails the moon.
    We come in the age’s most uncertain hour
    And sing an American tune…”

(Side note: I used to do some web work for Paul Simon, many years ago.)

Glad to see that the Virginia hills are treating you well. It’s lovely country down there, for sure.

i didn’t realise it WAS so hilly and country-side-ish around these parts Rudi! really reminds me of home. and makes me realise how desperately flat South Carolina is…

13. (William) Andrew says:

You could also keep a tally of amount spent on
    Road tolls / parking fines 😉
    Car maintainance

Are all the videos uploaded form Starbucks, or do you have some mobile broadband doohickey? (“doohickey” – sounds American!)

14. Amandeep says:

South Carolina is only flat in the lowcountry (which is, admittedly, half of the state). Maybe your next mission should be hiking the Appalachian trail, like our governor Sanford, in all his infinite wisdom.

15. Excellent post, Hey checkout my about Best You Tube Videos,