18. Castaway

We’re getting near the end of the journey and it’s time to have a little fun.

Well, not that I’ve NOT been having fun already, but in Texas at the weekend we went to the ‘free’ 72oz steak restaurant in Amarillo, before my new companion for the last two weeks – Paul – helps me out with something that is meant to be deliberately bad. And by bad, it’s good. Have a play and see what I mean …

Addendum: I used the excellent Waymarking website to find out where in the world (the world being … Texas, of course) with its specific entry here. We also did this Geocache which is located here too.

15 responses to “18. Castaway”

1. Catriona West says:

well I haven’t laughed that much in ages. Very poignant, oscars all round.

2. Scott Rhodes says:

Best video yet, made me laugh out loud in the middle of the office. Quality 🙂

3. Tina (Geoff's Mum) says:

Yes,this made me laugh too, the recreating film thing is hilarious, more so cos I was watching the film only last week! I think you have missed your vocation Geoff, and Paul’s ‘American’ accent was brilliant.

4. Chuck Boyd says:

Back when I was in the Los Angeles Tourism business, I met my counterpart who promoted Amarillo.

He used to bring a 72-oz steak to travel shows and drew a crowd by having a drawing.

At a show in L.A., he made me the “winner” and we grilled it at my house. It fed three nicely.

Thanks for the memory jogger. Be safe.

No markings on your jeep and no “passionate sex” … Take 2 …

.. wait for the outakes video! (at the end of the trip…)

7. Gerard says:

oh yes, Geoff, on so many levels. You’ve had this planned all the way along I reckon! Depending on how deep you want to go, you are Tom Hanks….

8. Paul’s accent sounded so strange I momentarily thought he was still munching on steak or something…:-) but then I realized he was trying to sound American. 🙂 Good job on this and all your videos. My mom, Amy and I are really enjoying the videos.

9. Tina (Geoff's Mum) says:

Kris, You have to know also that Paul is from the North of England which means he has a funny accent anyway! (Sorry Paul, I thought you sounded a bit like Liam Gallagher, or an actor off Coronation Street, trying to be American) no offence meant. It was a bit odd cos you were doing the woman’s part, and it didn’t sound quite right. Perhaps you were being Shakespearean, where men did all the women’s voices.

Oh, i’ve had this planned for many many months! the whole last two weeks of the road trip is where all the fun stuff is, i’ve been building up to it.

Paul refused to stuff something up his sweater to make it look like he had breasts, which i was most disappointed with.

11. Katie says:

Watched this in my office, and laughed out loud when the “passionate sex” bit came on. Needless to say, I had to turn down the volume…ha!

12. Amandeep says:

At Spike’s in Providence, RI, if you eat at least 6 of their big hot dogs, you get them all free and they take your picture and put it on the wall for completing the Spike’s challenge. The most anyone has ever done is like 16. But it’s like cheating to do it with plain hot dogs.

As soon as you mentioned the movie moment, I knew exactly which one it was! I love Tom Hanks. I never imagined the story ending with passionate sex in a hot tub. I always saw him going back and striking up conversation and maybe having a chat over some tea with a sort of slow burgeoning romantic interest. And now, I think you have ruined that image for me forever.

13. Amandeep says:

P.S. I thought it was funny how Paul said “all the way to… Kansas” instead of “all the way to Canada.”

14. Paul Webb says:

Right to reply:

Firstly, I am not Northern. I am a Midlander. I might currently live in the North, but this does not make me Northern (in much the same way that sleeping in a kennel does not make me a dog).

Secondly, my acting is beyond reproach. John Geilgud himself said I was perfect for the title role in ‘Waiting for Godot’

15. Helen Q says:

Wow, it nearly all went a bit Brokeback for a bit, there…